sIBL_GUI For Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2009
sIBL_GUI For Maya

sIBL_GUI For Maya

Welcome to Smart IBL - sIBL_GUI For Maya Thread!

The idea behind Smart IBL and sIBL_GUI is to get one click IBL Lighting.

More informations and details are available here: http://smartibl.com/

If you have requests, questions or whatever, you can use this thread or the HDRLabs one: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/foru...num=1271609371/

sIBL_GUI - Inspect Centric Layout

We are currently supporting some Renderers:

- Mental Ray
- VRay
- Turtle
- RenderMan For Maya

Here are some pictures of the same scene rendered with the different engines:

Mental Ray

VRay

Turtle

RenderMan For Maya

It's interesting to see the output of the different renderers. This is a straight output from each Template ( except for MR and Turtle where I cranked up the AA ).

By default VRay ( my renderer choice now ) is the slower because it's Indirect Quality Settings are much much higher than MR or Turtle that are at a really low quality by default ( Lowering the Indirect Quality make it the faster).

Turtle Background mismatch the other renderers because it's currently using a Geometry Sphere for the different components ( Lighting / Reflection / Background ) so depending where is your camera in the Scene, you will get some shifts.

Mental Ray has a strange Shadow shift I noticed since I started VRay Template, it got confirmed by Turtle Renders that match VRay ones. Not sure where it coming from, I didn't really looked into this issue.

RenderMan For Maya is using Occlusion on this Render ( I did'nt tried the Color Bleeding Option ).

In the Scene you'll find a sIBL Group with different Nodes like this:

sIBL_Controls is the Node where you'll find different Controls Attributes.

sIBL_Feedback is the Viewport Feedback Sphere so that you can preview and orient your Environment.

Here is the Maya Templates Centric Thread Post: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/foru...=1223936394/2#2

Autodesk Maya - Helper Script

There is an Helper Script that helps integrating sIBL_GUI smoothly with Maya:

sIBL_GUI For Maya - Helper Script: sIBL_GUI For Maya

Screencasts

Two screencasts are hosted on HDRLabs Vimeo Channel:

sIBL GUI - In Depth: Wich is an In-Depth review of the application.

sIBL GUI - Quick Start: A Quick Start screencast showing a typical quick session under Maya.

Manual - Help File:

sIBL_GUI Manual

Api File:

sIBL_GUI Api

Changes File:

Changes File

sIBL_GUI:

Stable:
Nightly:
Archives:
Sources:

sIBL_GUI Source Code is available directly from a GIT repository: sIBL_GUI GIT Repository On GITHub.

Don't hesitate to post feedback, features request etc

Have fun and enjoy

KS

Last edited by Kel Solaar : 11 November 2012 at 08:30 AM.

08 August 2009
looks good, nice one.

08 August 2009
Gonna give this a try. Looks very interesting!

08 August 2009
Loved it for mr, still do it with vray (demo for the moment)

08 August 2009
Thanks guys !

Next planned update for sIBL_GUI is a ReWire Tool so it's possible to switch Background, Reflection and Lighting Components, and even assign arbitrary maps to them.

Don't hesistate if you have features request or ideas, or need for specific stuff, the good thing is that since it's template based, you can easily modify / adjust them for your needs.

KS

08 August 2009
This looks like an incredibly useful tool.
Are there any plans to release it for RfM?

08 August 2009
No I didn't thought about it but yes it could be done
I'm downloading the Eval while writting this, I can't promise doing it immediatly though. Btw do you know if the Eval is a Timelimit or Watermarked Render ?

KS

08 August 2009
The RfM eval has no time limit, it is very watermarked though.
Having this tool would be incredible

Thanks for all your efforts.

08 August 2009
Leif : I just installed the RFM Eval to try it a bit, but I'm facing a problem :

I tried to work in Linear, so like I do with MTor I set, the Exposure to 1.0 / 2.2, my framebuffer is ok, then I created a RenderManEnvLight, but I have no control over the Gamma of Environment Image ( there is Bias and Gain but no Gamma ), that's a bit annoying because the Environment is definitely showing wrong in the Render and should receive a DeGamma. Since it's kind of a blackbox I'm a bit stuck :( What's your workflow with IBL Lighting and RFM ?

KS

08 August 2009
If the gamma is embedded in the image, then I usually de-Gamma in Photoshop. When working with HDRI's it's usually not a problem, because they should be treated linearly.

But yeah, I do get the same inconsistencies many times and I just end up cranking down the intensity as the Official Courseware suggests.
I never found this to be the most precise solution though. This will obviously not maintain the range and color fidelity of the image.

I'll post this in the Pixar forums.

Last edited by leif3d : 08 August 2009 at 12:39 PM.

08 August 2009
I'm sure this will get many RM users very excited

Edit:

Why did this post jump on top of yours if I posted afterward?
weird...

Last edited by leif3d : 08 August 2009 at 12:43 PM.

08 August 2009
Yes I posted a thread there about this issue : https://renderman.pixar.com/forum/s...&threadid=13062

I will try ( I said try ) to get a first release tonight after getting back at home, I started the Template while saving some huge PSD , and with the Environment Light it should be fairly easy.

KS

08 August 2009
Wow, this looks awesome. I can't wait to get some free time to play with this! Thank you for your work on this Thomas!

reply share thread