Commandline render ignores render threads

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Commandline render ignores render threads

Hi guys,

I really hope there's someone that can help me out here. I'm doing a mental ray commandline-render but it completely ignores my render threads, it uses only 100% of my cpu instead of the full 800% which it does use when I render the same scene from the built-in maya batch render button! I'm using the "mr rt- 8" command in my script..

#!/bin/bash#!/bin/bash
Render -r mr -rt 8 render_01.mb
Render -r mr -rt 8 render_02.mb
Render -r mr -rt 8 render_02.mb

Does anyone know whats going on here? I need to render a lot of seperate shots, so I really need commandline render. The weird thing is that I've tested commandline rendering on my laptop at home without any problems.

Cheers!

06 June 2013
it could be one part of the render sequence that is only single-threaded (displacement tessellation or glow effects, for example). Is it doing that for the entire duration of the render?

06 June 2013
Hi thanks for the reply! It's a really simple low poly style scene, no special tricks except maybe for a dynamic curve. The thing is, it uses all render threads when I batch render from Maya itself, as soon as I render this exact same scene from the maya terminal, it suddenly doesn't want to use all render threads anymore.

07 July 2013
I fixed problem this by typing the -mem flag in the script, auto memory limit doesn't work for me, don't know why..

So I type:

#!/bin/bash#!/bin/bash
Render -r mr -mem 13000 -rt 8 filepath_over_here/render_01.mb
Render -r mr -mem 13000 -rt 8 filepath_over_here/render_02.mb
Render -r mr -mem 13000 -rt 8 filepath_over_here/render_03.mb

The number 13000 is based on by free system memory which I lookup in the activity monitor before I render.. I'm on OSX 10.7.5 on an Imac 3,4 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread