CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya > Maya Rendering
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Pixel Collisions
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand
Fly through - how to

Ive got a project coming up that requires a fly through to be created in 3D so that the client can see how their propsed concept will look. The environment itself will be around 5km squared and require various building structures possibly people and cars (moving), maybe some water as its by the sea as well as their proposed wayfinding concepts.

Im an FX guy and have no experience with fly throughs.

Im going to suggest creating the whole environment in monotone and render it with ambient occlusion like I see in other fly throughs. When it comes to their concept work which is placed within this environment, I was thinking rendering those with full raytracing.

My question is, whats the fastest way to do the AO pass - do I have to use FG or can I do a AO pas automatically in MR? Should I use the Sunlight Indirectlight model in MR? Im open to your opinions and ideas as to how to go about this and present it to the client as concept before I go ahead and do the work. Any workflow ideas are also welcome. I should probably look at some existing flythroughs so if anyone has something they can share Id be happy to watch.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Cat lover
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark
Do you have any examples of what look you are tryint go achieve? Does it have to be Mray?
If you have access to Vray I would use that, just plug a vray dirt (ao) node, through a vraymaterial so that it gets affected by shadows as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Kiryha Krysko
3D artist
Send a message via ICQ to kiryha
Its defiantly depend on look you wish to achieve. For plain AO you dont need any FG or Sun and sky, its easy to setup and fast to render. Any reference image would clarify a lot.
3D animation blog
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Bernardo Pichardo
santo domingo, Dominican Republic
if you will be working in maya2014, you might wanna take a look at this.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread