Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Rawalanche
Senior Noob

portfolio
Ludvik Koutny
3D Generalist
Prague, Czech Republic

How to tweak glossiness map?

Hi, i am just trying out Maya and i got stuck at something as basic as tweaking glossiness maps.

In 3ds Max, my usual workflow would simply be to plug my texture map into color correct node, which has ability to change brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, etc... of color input, and then plug that into glossiness slot of Mia material.

In Maya, i crashed on two very big problems:

1, I could not find anything that resembles color correction node or curves node or anything like that.

2, Even if i had the node, that for some ill reason, input for mia_material glossiness in Maya is alpha, so even if i had some correction node, i still couldn't use it as alpha is not a color data stream.

What i want is to have a way to tweak my material inputs straight in Maya. Anything outside Maya is out of question as i can not afford to have hundreds of adjusted duplicate textures in my texture library each for very specific purpose.

This is how my average node network looks. I usually make the most of my bitmaps by using color correctors. So i wonder if i can achieve similar workflow in Maya.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

No easy way to color correct in Maya I'm afraid. The closest you can try is to plug your texture into gammaCorrect node and adjust gamma for R G B separately. Not very intuitive.

Contrast can be gained by decreasing gamma and increasing texture node's color gain.

As for glossiness, you can try this.
Plug your color texture into a Luminance node.
Plug Luminance output into a remapValue.
Plug remapValue output to glossiness.
Play with the remap curves/ramps.

Last edited by Panupat : 05-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
VB2341
Frequenter
portfolio
Varun Bajaj
Troy, US

Maya has remap RGB and remap HSV nodes that can be used for color correction. There are also remap value and contrast nodes. While it isn't super advanced CC, it usually works well enough for what you're trying to do in maya.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

You can connect your glossy, bump, refl maps to an "RGB to HSV" node, then connect the "out HSV" V value to the "Vcoord" of a ramp. This is a bit like a levels tool in Photoshop.

I just deleted the middle (green node) on the ramp, and changed the top node to grey/white and the bottom to black. Play around with the positions and colors of the ramp for different effects.

I sometimes use this method as a quick and dirty way of creating bump, refl, gloss maps from my color texture.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread