Mental Ray Vs V-ray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Vray here too, switch 6 month ago.
It's not the holygrail everyone is saying but ti's a leap from MR in term of seting up production scene, it has its strengh but it's a really noisy renderer, that get long render time to clean it up.
DMC is hard to get a grip of, took me a while to understand how parameter work together, fluid support is not as good a MR.
So there is still area where MR is needed, but overall Vray feels more intuitive and fast to setup, and much more stable than Mr which is the selling point if you ask me.

04 April 2013
im on the same line with matt

04 April 2013
I also switched. So much less hassle and the support is exceptional.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by thematt: it has its strengh but it's a really noisy renderer, that get long render time to clean it up.
DMC is hard to get a grip of, took me a while to understand how parameter work together,

This has been my experience with vray as well. I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I prefer mental ray. Two additional points: 1) there is mental core, 2) the maya integration is proving immensely and will only get better. There is quite a bit of really good work being done to improve mental ray integration in maya.

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

Last edited by Redsand1080 : 04 April 2013 at 09:12 PM.

04 April 2013
Are procedural textures rendered correctly in the last version of vray? Last time I checked (version 2.0) they rendered very differently from maya software, mr and even viewport 2.0, that were quite consistent among each other.

04 April 2013
Which ones do you need?

They don't work the same because Autodesk haven't released the code - so V-Ray devs had to emulate it. It'll probably never be 100% the same because of this unfortunate scenario.

04 April 2013
At least with noise and fractal, Vray works pretty good. I use those all the time. Could be a problem tho if you're trying to, say, match displacement with MR.

04 April 2013
Smile hey

ive crack it..maybe because it called mental ray More brain efficiency to work it haha

Okay Now i will try this VRay for the first time any basic advice for me??

Thanks!

04 April 2013
I really love Vray.. But,.. we had to go back to Mental Ray because of what our outsourcing studio uses. Tons of problems arose.. Again ,.. using MR.
But.. on the side of Mental ray.. we render one pass on the farm. Vray requires its irrad pass 1st, .. then you point to it, and then render out the final. (Lots of problems arose because of that simple fact)
So.. for easy renders MrRay was quick and easy,.. But Vray really sent out the quality.. with some time.

Last edited by refract : 04 April 2013 at 07:20 AM.

04 April 2013
I've been using MR for 10 years or so so am very comfy with it. However currently finding more and more issues with it, especially in Maya 2013.
Getting close to making the Jump to VR.

04 April 2013
soon switching to Vray or Arnold.

04 April 2013
how do you get your hands on Arnold

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by refract: Vray requires its irrad pass 1st, .. then you point to it, and then render out the final.
Could you elaborate on this please? We have never had to do this to get a render out of Vray. This sounds very much like a special case use - not standard VRay usage.

04 April 2013
We also used MR for a while in our studio ... I was fed up with all the little annoyances of MR so we gave VRay a tried and we loved it so we switch to Vray and never look back.

04 April 2013
It's clear that MentalRay is simply loosing a big part of the market, they are starting to realize that but it simply to late, plus Nvidia doesn't really rely on MR as much as it does on manufactured hardware to generate revenues.
I have seen a lot of studios in the industry lately asking for Vray4Maya skills when Vray4Maya have only been here for a 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't be surprise if the same will happen in Max & Softimage but a slower pace due to a better MR integration in those 2 packages.
Now of course MR4Maya is powerful, flexible and still used by a couple of big studios but even with this, it is simply outdated and it's really no surprise for me that everybody in this forum and the industry is switching to Vray.

Thread Closed share thread