Vray flickering in animation - what am I doing wrong?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Vray flickering in animation - what am I doing wrong?

Hello guys,

I'm learning v-ray and getting used to it but I noticed that my render comes with flickering and I don't know how to solve it. I have setting on subdivision 16 on most and the overall is on high as well. Could you please tell me what setting I'm doing wrong, please?
Also, I can't find how to do soft shadows. The render gives me kinda hard shadows but I don't like it so where does one changed the softness, please?
My scene is outdoor house with Dome light + Sun&sky. The poly count shows 380k triangles.

04 April 2013
P.S.: my camera is static. Only the character is moving and one prop.

04 April 2013
for moving objet it's recommended you use "brute force as your primary engine for Gi" but first you need to know where the noise come from (GI, shadow, reflection) output some passes and check them out, at this moment you'll see where the noise is and you'll will correct it from there.
It's usually from the shadow so increasing the subdive in your light will help.
Lots of thing can produce noise, so a good alternative is to also to use a denoise in post to avoid having to increase the sample too much.

04 April 2013
thank you, will try that.
btw, where do you tweak shadow etc.? I can't seem to find it so not sure how to make softer shadows and also reduce the noise on shadows, please.

Thanks

04 April 2013
Ok,

I've went through my passes and found noise on those:

dirt
GI
Lighting
Reflection
matteShadows

Now, how to best tweak those? Do I assume that if I have noise on all those I just bump the subdiv from 16 to lets say 32?
Or is there another thing one would tweak?
Thank you

04 April 2013
Change your anti-aliasing filter to lancoz or gauss. increase filter size to 3 or 4

Next, it's best you go through your light 1 at a time for faster render. I highly recommend using spot light primarily as it is very fast with very little noise even if you increase the size and rays pretty high.

It's pretty much going through everything 1 at a time really.

04 April 2013
I had antialiasing on gauss as 2. Tried on 4 and everything is now blurred. Do I understand it correctly that the AA will blurr the image? How does one then preserve the sharpness on objects etc. but softness on shadows?

04 April 2013
Just tried CatmullRom filter and it looks very nice. Anything I should be aware of or why not to use that filter? Seems like a great balance for sharpness but still smoothness. No blur

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gloor: Just tried CatmullRom filter and it looks very nice. Anything I should be aware of or why not to use that filter? Seems like a great balance for sharpness but still smoothness. No blur

For compositing purposes I would stick to a Gaussian filter at 2. As I understand the Math on edges are most accurate when using this filter, anyhow when you start to tweak your lights you will notice they have subdivision tabs for samples which I think the defaults are low. try increasing those first before increasing DMC samples and lowering threshold etc...also like one suggested Brute force will give you a more accurate result rather than some of the newer methods. Don't forget your vray materials also share that subdv property too, so more gloss more subdv...you get the idea! Good luck!

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by treedee: For compositing purposes I would stick to a Gaussian filter at 2. As I understand the Math on edges are most accurate when using this filter, anyhow when you start to tweak your lights you will notice they have subdivision tabs for samples which I think the defaults are low. try increasing those first before increasing DMC samples and lowering threshold etc...also like one suggested Brute force will give you a more accurate result rather than some of the newer methods. Don't forget your vray materials also share that subdv property too, so more gloss more subdv...you get the idea! Good luck!

I've found that gaussian filter to be very blurry even when 2 so perhaps I might have something else messed up.
My samples are in the range of 48-64 on all lights and materials have reflection subdivs between 16-24

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gloor: I've found that gaussian filter to be very blurry even when 2 so perhaps I might have something else messed up.
My samples are in the range of 48-64 on all lights and materials have reflection subdivs between 16-24

Sounds about right for your settings, and yes gaussian will soften your image a bit. as long as you try to render in layers to see were your noise is coming from I think it will help you narrow it down. Start with 10 frames and add each light accordingly...you will start to see what is flickering exactly.

Cheers.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by Gloor: I've found that gaussian filter to be very blurry even when 2 so perhaps I might have something else messed up.

Blurry filter such as Gaussian or Area is better for animation. Sharpen filters can create some artifacts that are very noticeable in animation, they're better for stills imo.

04 April 2013
Hi, I also have this problem in my animation with moving object.

I have tried different GI method but the problem still here. I also tried render out different passes and the problem is come from my GI pass. using brute force can kill the flicker problem but it took an extremely long time for rendering.

Please take a look of it.
Http://youtu.be/pmflRN4ND7Q

Anyone have an idea? Please help me.

Thanks!

04 April 2013

Here is my rendering of prepass and final image setting. Am I missed something?
The result is here http://youtu.be/pmfIRN4ND7Q
Please Help!

04 April 2013
Too small, can't read.

It's better if you understand what each options are doing you know. So head over to spot 3d and start reading what each one does.

Seeing you only have a moving camera, try this as your starting point.

1st pass

Set Irradiance primary, light cache secondary.

Irradiance settings
- medium animation
- tick "use camera path"
- choose "animation (prepass)" mode
- choose file name and location for "auto save file"

light cache settings
- increase your subdiv to 1k or 1.5k
- tick "use camera path"
- mode "single frame"

render your entire animation once. This is a pre-calculation stage. No final image should be produced. Only irradiance maps.

2nd pass

set Irradiance primary, None secondary.

Irradiance settings.
- leave most things the same
- change mode to "Animation (rendering)"
- in the "file name" right beneath the mode, browse to the file you created in the 1st pass.

Now render again.

If you want to use Brute force, you can lower it's subd a bit and add light cache as your secondary GI. Light cache can help cover up lots of noises.

Thread Closed share thread