Maya 2013 Mental Ray Shave and a Haircut Not showing in renders

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Maya 2013 Mental Ray Shave and a Haircut Not showing in renders

Hi All,

I have looked through the other forum posts on similar things on this and have not yet found the solution to a problem I am having.

I am rendering in MR, and have a character whose hair will not show up on renders. The character has SSS shaders pumping into a regular Mia_Material_X on them, meaning there is a light-map attached to the SSS shaders. The scalp shows as if the hair is not even there (no alpha'd areas or anything).

I have the Hair Render Mode set to Hair Primitives.

I am using IBL and FG to light my scene as well as Area Lights.

I don't have anything like displacement or normal maps on the model.

I am using Render Layers in the scene, but all the Shave and Haircut nodes are added to every layer, and the hair does not render even in the master layer.

When I render the same segment in Maya Software render, the hair shows up pure white (almost like an alpha channel). Someone in another post mentioned that it might be because Shave and a haircut can not deal with light decay (of which my lights are using Quadratic decay).

Any ideas how I can be able to render this hair through MR? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any and all assistance in this.

- Jeff

Old 03 March 2013   #2
First of all,

try it with simple sphere object and default shavehair preset first.

Then add complexity with your light setup.

You can try to turn off "override shader" in shave node settings and assign some mray shader to "shaveDisplayShape" not the ShaveHair node!!

This should work immedeately (in hair primitives mode)...if not theres a plugin problem not workflow mray one.

I recommend to override standard shave mat with ptk_hair shader (check forums for ptk shaders to get thenm) they works great with mray and shave hairs and for animations use Rasterizer with detail shadowmaps with spotlights and raytracing off...its super fast and hair looks gorgeous!!

L.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Thanks Libor! I will give that a go as soon as I have a chance and post on here with the result. Thanks for such a quick response.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread