Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Vray batch renders look diff

Hello,

I'm stumped here guys. When I render in maya everything looks good. When I send a job to backburner the renders look about 20-30% darker. I'm using Maya 2012 with all the service packs and pathces installed. I'm using Vray 2.0.

Now I'm no master at vray but very good with maya. I'm thinking it has something to do with me using linear workflow. Maya whats being applied to the renderview is not being applied to a batch render...

Old 03-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

you probably have an sRGB gamma preview on in Maya or the V-Ray VFB but the file itself opens as linear (not gamma corrected), so it looks darker. You either need to render to EXR or a 32-bit linear format or bake in the gamma correction for non-floating-point images like PNG

Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Buzert
Frequenter
portfolio
Trick Ster
Vancouver, Canada

Yes I do have RGB gamma preview on in Maya. I've tried exr and PNG, better but still dark and off from the maya render window. However I did notice lots of image options. Is there something in there I should tweak? How do I bake it in. Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but if you could look at your default options and tell me everything that needs to be set, where and how.

An even bigger problem is when I send this to the render farm using backburner, which has the exact same version of maya 2012 sp1 and Vray 200.04 I get even darker images from the 3 slaves.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

If you are saving out exr format, you don't want to embed sRGB into it. Most composite applications (Nuke, etc) will understand that it's a linear image and will switch on sRGB preview for you.

If you are saving out PNG or any other ordinary image, go to render globals, Vray tab, color mapping. Set gamma to 2.2, make sure to un-check "Don't affect colors"

Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

if you download my V-Ray Tuner script:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...-tuner-for-maya

and hit LWFMe, it will create the settings I (and everyone else) uses for linear workflows in V-Ray and linear EXR files. It's easier than me posting screenshots. The only thing I would say is that the script enables "auto" linear workflow which is used instead of manual degamma. That's not the best scenario for all cases so I usually hit LWFMe and then disable the "LWF" toggle and manually linearize swatches and texture files, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread