FurryBall and VRAY compare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #31
Originally Posted by mustique: I think comparing a great hardware renderer like Furryball with vray in a cg forum is not a clever decision. Furryballs looks like it's a nice fast renderer for stylized animations and shortfilms but it is not impressive enough for photorealistic stuff like archviz animation. The Carlos Ortega pics in your gallery are excellent. Also the hardware rendered fluid/smoke looks very cool. Those pics&animations show me where Furryball shines, not the images in this thread.

Thanks, you are right. We just want to show alternative.
No every Archviz studio need 100% photorealistic results and NO every client has money for it...
I even think there is MUCH more studios, for them is FurryBall results enough... Especially today in this "fast" World.

Old 03 March 2013   #32
I am definitely not saying FurryBall is not fast, it is extremely fast. GPU computing using rasterization is probably power efficient too, but i just do not agree about "It's faster than Vray" style of propagation, as you are mixing apples with oran... ehm... giraffes.

Vray is capable of incomparably higher quality and realism not only when it comes to stills, but also animation, and key basic elements, such as direct and indirect illumination, shading and DoF/motion blur effects.

Experienced people in this industry are usually smart enough to realize they are getting BS-ed. So unless you want to target inexperienced people and newbies, change of your propagation strategy would probably make things better.

Just out of curiosity, i would love to see how your simulated GI and reflections work, because that's where rasterizers and game engines always fail me. I would try on my own, but i do not have Maya. I had a trial but it's expired.

Here is a simple scene that i made. Took about 15 minutes to render, and is lit only by sun and sky. I do not want to compare speed, just to see how simulated GI and reflections work.

I have exported obj and placed arrow mesh so it is possible to match the sun angle using it. I would love to see how FurryBall handles it Thanks...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37383285/BuddhaRoom.zip

Old 03 March 2013   #33
The bottom line is that this render solution is another animal. If you don't compare to Vray and so on, people will ask. IT IS important to compare.

What you do with that information is that you can see where you go with your rendering budget. And that is significant.

If you are aware of rendering you know what you are missing and you know why and you decide on a project by project basis where you put your money.

Furryball definitely fills a void in rendering I think.

It is just an alternative. If you want another solution to pile onto Octane, Cycles, Kray, Thea, on and on... or if you want another Vray, Mray Final Render, 3Delight, Renderman, Arnold, Maxwell... on and on... you don't think of Furryball.

You think of Furryball for what it is, with its limitations and decide. Probably you could pay for it in one project with the savings of render farm costs. easy. (not every person owns a render farm or can buy one. Many people rent them for projects and this is expensive) IF the project actually can use Furryball as well as another solution. And there are many projects that can. Not every project requires Vray.

But we all want to see what it can do in comparison to Vray and so on. So we see. And then decide. Simple. Not everyone or every situation is the same. In many projects for a client, speed is more important than quality. This is true. But you have to decide on a project by client basis.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
Rawalanche>
Easy to say - FurryBall will not do same quality in this case now. It has only one bounce at the moment and there is also no same complex shaders like in VRAY. But nobody say that yes.
(But in FurryBall 4 there will be completely new GI system)

It's the same like I want this for you in VRAY under 1 min.
In FurryBall in lower antialiasing you can ever rotate it in Maya with 5-10 FPS! (with fur and full light)

Last edited by furryball : 03 March 2013 at 07:14 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Originally Posted by furryball: Rawalanche>
Easy to say - FurryBall will not do same quality in this case now. It has only one bounce at the moment and there is also no same complex shaders like in VRAY. But nobody say that yes.
(But in FurryBall 4 there will be completely new GI system)

It's the same like I want this for you in VRAY under 1 min.
In FurryBall in lower antialiasing you can ever rotate it in Maya with 5-10 FPS! (with fur and full light)

For the fun.

Do you have the Maya scene please ?
The problem is my computer is too old (q6600). I can setup the scene, and someone can render it to see the render time.

Old 03 March 2013   #36
If Anybody in US on GTC Nvidia conference 2013 we have a speech here about it (including this kitchen samples)
http://registration.gputechconf.com/quicklink/7a2zYSC

Old 03 March 2013   #37
You say you are making GI improvements. When is the next release planned? I mean not to tie you down on a date, but a general idea?

Old 03 March 2013   #38
I think your render was much more appealing when you show character and not try to compare it to anyone else Furryball is already pretty cool on its own.

Old 05 May 2013   #39
FurryBall and VRAY compare (FurryBall 4 preview)

The first test in FurryBall 4 Aplha (only internal release)
Same scene Rawalanche sent us:
2 min, Full HD, Raytraced Indirect (Based on Nvidia Optix) - Correct raytraced indirect.
Materials are little bit different, but it's just about tuning.

http://aaa-studio.cz/FurryBall/BudhaRaytracing-logo.jpg

BTW, FurryBall result is much less noise than Rawalanche image (MentalRay, or VRAY) after 15 min.

http://i.imgur.com/p9YXjKq.jpg

Last edited by furryball : 05 May 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #40
Ok, great, now we can finally do some comparisons:

Let's assume the slight noise is a tradeoff for accuracy, for example that furryball does not show any secondary reflections (reflections on reflected objects, most noticeable on the floor).

You got about 4-5 times faster rendering time on GeForce Titan, which costs about 4-5x more than my very old i7, and eats at least 3x more energy.

Not to say that it is not an impressive result, it is very impressive. But it is still not the 100x speed or efficiency you promise on your web... it is not even 10x, it seems to be 4x at best... and only in a very specific cases

Old 05 May 2013   #41
Of course in this indirect cases it will not be 100 times faster (but only 5-10), but in fur and cartoon like renderers (which the most our studio customers use), FurryBall is 50 - 100 times faster than any raytracer.

Old 05 May 2013   #42
Why did you change the text on your image from 3 minutes to 2 minutes? That is not very nice and makes you appear quite untrustworthy. You seem to be bending facts to your advantage.

Old 05 May 2013   #43
??? Sorry Rawalanche, but you have some problem.
I can't discuss on this your level anymore....

Old 05 May 2013   #44
Ah, well, now i see what is going on here. This pretty much sums up that no advertised information from you nor your website can be trusted.

I could just do any image with any renderer of my choice and stick any rendertime on it and claim it true, but i would never diminish so low

Old 05 May 2013   #45
Originally Posted by furryball: fur and cartoon like renderers (which the most our studio customers use),

Nobody is arguing with that. But here you posted claims about archviz-type scenes, so naturally the discussion is focused on that. No matter who your customers are.

Originally Posted by furryball: FurryBall is 50 - 100 times faster than any raytracer.

You obviously have not seen Brigade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=pXZ33YoKu9w

PS: I also saw 3 minutes before the edit...

PPS: On more positive note: I am curious to see ray tracing implemented. Do you want to replace the D3D rasterization with it, or just offer it as a high-quality alternative engine?

Last edited by KeyCZ : 05 May 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Thread Closed share thread