FurryBall and VRAY compare

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
FurryBall and VRAY compare (FurryBall 4 preview)

Hi,
we made some compare between FurryBall and VRAY.
Original image was made in MAX in VRAY. We did't have settings for all shaders and light exactly same - this is why are images little bit different.
Important are times - 20 TIMES faster.

Fullres image in our gallery:
http://furryball.aaa-studio.cz/gallery/index.html

Last edited by furryball : 05 May 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Impressive.
Good result for that speed.

It is kind of pointless though saying it's 20x faster without posting all the render settings and sampling you were using for both renderers in each of these images. I mean you could be using overkill settings in vray for example for all we know.
Things like tiling/mipmapping on textures and rayswitching materials for example can greatly reduce rendertimes in a raytracer like vray with no loss in visual fidelity etc.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
VRAY render was made by Architect studio (not us) - they provide us their time, and source scene from 3DSMAX.
We had to make totally new shaders, textures lighting in Maya and try to make similar result.
Architect studio is skilled and I suppose they was reduce time, becasue it was their normal job...

Samples are irrelevant in different renderers - it's just number. There is important result, doesn't it? Resolution was the same.

Last edited by furryball : 03 March 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
ya, and the V-Ray render looks a lot better. It's not really an apples-to-Apples comparison. And 30 minutes is kind of long for that kind of an image IMO.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
There is of course one big difference in render times. But i think that VRAY plays a lot with the times depending on the way you use it... plus in my opinion the VRay image looks better. But i am still very impressed with the speed of FurryBall.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
I think that is impressive. More stuff like that in the gallery will make more people take note. For animation I'll gladly take the hit on a small quality difference for that much of a render speed.
Does your GI work as flicker free animation for characters as well?

Also, you said you had to write shaders. Does this mean you do not have shaders out of the box that will allow users to replicate such a scene? Or will that be included in the next release?

Old 03 March 2013   #7
I'm sorry but architect companies don't general optimize their scene. If you give that scene to animation or VFX studio, they could probably ditch out an even better quality Vray render in much less time.

Not saying Furryball is a bad product by the way. But the choice of your Vray piece is sort of bad.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Originally Posted by cineartist: Also, you said you had to write shaders. Does this mean you do not have shaders out of the box that will allow users to replicate such a scene? Or will that be included in the next release?

No write, we had to just set shaders - as I said it was converted from MAX with VRAY. It mean NO shaders in Maya...
FurryBall of course NOT support VRAY shaders, same as RENDERMAN for example not support VRAY or MR shaders...

Yes, you have right all - there ARE differences in the renderers. FurryBall is NOT for "Stillimage freaks" who look on every 10 bounced refraction. It's build for real production and animation.

I can bet that ANY client will NOT see any difference, but imagine render 500 frames.
FurryBall is NOT flicker in GI. And times? / 500 frames (VRAY - 10 days, FB - 12,5 hours)...

Is this difference 9,5 days of computing?? Imagine saving money and time in production.

Last edited by furryball : 03 March 2013 at 07:29 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Originally Posted by cgbeige: ya, and the V-Ray render looks a lot better. It's not really an apples-to-Apples comparison. And 30 minutes is kind of long for that kind of an image IMO.

i agree with u my friend,

i saw also a similar "test" render compare, with 3ds max corona vs vray, where some smart guy was tweaking a vray scene and got the ~20min render time, and later when people has optimize vray scene and got ~4min render

so this is not a real test, i bet that vray can render faster, if u can share a scene so other people can tweak it...

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Originally Posted by furryball: No write, we had to just set shaders - as I said it was converted from MAX with VRAY. It mean NO shaders in Maya...
FurryBall of course NOT support VRAY shaders, same as RENDERMAN for example not support VRAY or MR shaders...

Just be careful with your choice of words then. You, know?

I understand that English is not your first language. For the most part if you say "make" that means create. Different than "set" which means to use something you already have.

The more proper English - if you care that people will understand you - would be "set up". Which means to apply and adjust something existing,

I think everyone understands that you don't have the same shaders as other renderers. You made it sound like you had to write some kind of special shaders.

Shades of meaning make all of the difference sometimes.

The other half of my question is important though.

Did you test a scene like this in animation for flicker? And for character animation with no flicker

Last edited by cineartist : 03 March 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Guys - sorry for my English,
as I said WE DIDN'T made this VRAY scene, we didn't tweak it to be slow... It was made by other studio like their job and I suppose, that they don't like wait for slow renders... But who knows...

If you would like make some tests, here is REAL bench scene:
http://furryball.aaa-studio.cz/abou...ll/compare.html

Please select your favourite renderer and try se send us better results. (Please don't forget on DOF, MB, blurred reflections, and full HD)

Last edited by furryball : 03 March 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Everyone has an experience or two, but that does not mean it is the definitive end all on what any one company does with renders. If anything Arch Vis might be more inclined to certain details that VFX can get by without. But again that is a generality. It could go the other way too. But I don't think you can make a general statement about Arch vis. For one, many of them have large scenes with tons of detail and very tight deadines and budgets. In fact I don't know of any industry that can afford to be lazy about rendering times. So although that might be some particular people's experience in a few cases, I think it hardly applies as some kind of rule of thumb. I'd say most arch vis houses are as equally pressed for time as any other place. As a general rule.

And it is quite common for VFX houses to count render times from 30min 130min per frame. For quality such as Blur studios. When I hear people talk about scenes around 10 mins, I usually see the result and it looks nothing like what you get from spending on higher times, or the scenes are missing details that would send the render times higher. That's my personal experience for what it is worth.

The best thing to use is benchmark scenes. You can not second guess what people do.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
just one fact

you have to understand that furry is not for highend production...

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Great, I love facts.

What then, is a "highend production"?

Tip: That is a rhetorical question made in jest. Please do not feel obligated to answer.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Originally Posted by bazuka: just one fact
you have to understand that furry is not for highend production...

I love these common truths...

I suppose Blizzard, or Valve is no so much LOWEND production...
http://furryball.aaa-studio.cz/showcase/index.html

We also made whole CGI feature for cinema in FurryBall:
http://www.goatstorymovie.com/goatstory2/

Thread Closed share thread