Transfer attributes - Is it supposed to be this slow?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Transfer maps - Is it supposed to be this slow?

I watched a tutorial recently, showing someone baking normal and plain diffuse data to textures, there were about 500k polys all in all, and it took the guy about 5 minutes to do it. Now, I'm trying, just as a test, to transfer the same maps off of a bunch of basic geometry with various shaders onto a plane. It's about 5k polys, and it crunches... About 1% every 5 minutes or so. This is using the default settings (or at least I think so), on a 4k map using maya software. This is both intolerable and not supposed to happen (or so I would assume. What is up with this?

Have I unwittingly screwed up some setting, either in the render settings or the bake settings? Is the problem baking the textures onto a single polygon plane, instead of doing it onto a more subdivided plane or more advanced geometry? Do I just need to nuke my Maya installation in order to fix this, because of something having gone corrupt? Halp plx! :(

Addendum: I just finished a baking of a object space and tangent space normal maps plus a diffuse map, all 4k in size. The 2 objects had a total of 40k polygons. I used MR baking options, 2 samples, else everything was default. It took me a whupping 18 hours to bake those three maps. And I think the color map alone clocked in at close to 10 hours.

I also noticed that Maya only used 12% of my total CPU. This is on a 64 bit installation as well. Isn't everything supposed to be able to utilize all 8 cores, instead of snailing away on 1 core? And even so, is it really supposed to take this long? I seem to remember doing this a couple of months back, baking out maps in 4k square which only took 20-30 minutes to bake each, with a much heavier scene. This is downright bizarre.

Last edited by hellspawned : 03 March 2013 at 01:57 AM.

03 March 2013
Of course I meant Transfer Maps, not Attributes.

03 March 2013
If you don't mind, could you post an example file of what you're trying to do, or at least your texture baking settings. I was baking 2k textures the other day, only simple diffuse maps, but they didn't take more than a minute. Granted, they were on a simple object with no antialiasing, but I wouldn't expect that high of an increase from what you're describing. If the baking process is similar at all to how mudbox extracts textures, it shouldn't take nearly that long. I've seen a couple posts like this lately, I'm curious to see what may be going wrong.

03 March 2013
I don't know if my Maya installation is somehow set up wrong - Since it only uses one core for baking. Does your Maya use all available cores when baking?

Anyhow, here's the scene I was dabbling with.

http://speedy.sh/fkvvt/simple-box-test.ma

Last edited by hellspawned : 03 March 2013 at 01:45 PM.

03 March 2013
Well, I did a bit of researching, and I think maya's transfer maps is only set to run on one core, mine only ran on one core as well.

That said, I baked a tangent space normal map and diffuse map, and together, the two of them took maybe 10-15 minutes at 4k with 2 samples (I'm assuming it bakes via mental ray if your renderer is set to mental ray). Why yours would take on the order of hours is beyond me. I'm also running on a laptop thats 2.5 years old now, with an AMD Phenom II 2.0gHz (quad core, but that doesn't matter). I'm not sure what the issue with your maps are, maybe you have one setting cranked super high? How much RAM does your system have available before you start the baking?

03 March 2013
My computer sports an i7 920, so that's 2.68 gHz (I think) and 12 gigs of RAM. Usually it's about 1,5 to 2 gigs used for background stuff, closer to 1 if I bother to shut down all unnecessary background processes I usually have running.

And yes, I used MR to bake. As far as I know, if you have MR selected as your scene renderer and turns off "Use Maya common settings" it should use MR to do the baking.
As for the settings, I had them under the strictest control. Nothing above 2 samples or 4k square textures. So that's still just as odd, that you managed to bake them in under 10% of the time it took for me, with less powerful hardware. Maybe my computer was just having a momentary shit-fit and turned ass up in my face for no particular reason. It tends to be a bit moody at times.

Edit: Tested it again, and this time it sped through the whole baking process in about 5 minutes flat. Guess this was one of those problems which only took a whine on a forum to solve :P

Last edited by hellspawned : 03 March 2013 at 12:44 PM.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread