Updated Rendering UI for Maya with Native IBL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Updated Rendering UI for Maya with Native IBL

We've updated our previous rendering UI for mental ray to include the Native IBL. Tutorial to follow.

You can get the new rendering UI here: Updated UI Version

Please note that this doesn't seem to work with Subscription Advantage Pack (SAP) yet.

You will find the Native IBL in the Indirect Lighting tab. The below sphere is lit only with an HDRI and nothing else. Notice the direct shadowing and occlusion like detail at the contact point. The native ibl has been part of mental ray since version 3.7, about 4 years ago. You should give it a shot! ;-)

This provides automatic and fast dome lighting to a scene including multiple shadows generated by an HDR image. The use of Final Gathering to light a scene that is lit with an HDR is greatly reduced. (You can reduce the accuracy to low numbers, 8 or 16 rays perhaps.)

Basic features and controls are:

Quality: Scalar slider for quality/grain control. Many scenes with sufficient texturing/complexity can get away with as little as 0.3. Increasing this value decreases grain at the cost of speed, more shadow rays are traced.

Scale: Multiplier for the light. Used to control tint/shade and brightness (value) The visible environment is not changed, only the light contribution. Environments are typically assumed to be comped later.

Shadow: Optimization, solid shadows are faster but treats all objects as opaque. Off is no shadows cast.

[Additional]
Cache: on/off, this creates an acceleration structure for faster lookup on complex lighting. This means the lighting lookup is done through a non-texture mechanism. Reflections may show artifacts at insufficient baking resolution (described below) but should light faster. Off = baked to texture with the usual implications/mechanisms for texture lookups.
Resolution: The lower the resolution, the faster the baking, less memory usage, and quicker rendering at the cost of details in reflection and lighting. (Works with iray as well)
Shader Samples: When baking the IBL, this will take more samples before baking to avoid missing details or little hotspots. Useful with complex HDRI or small resolution settings (Works with iray) This isn't typically important with low contrast or low detail maps/procedurals. A ramp for example, will not benefit from more samples. Use this if you find that you are missing some small light sources or shadow details suffer.

Last edited by Bitter : 01 January 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: I can't type for 5#!T

01 January 2013
Thanks a lot for that (and all the other great resources you guys share), looking great!
Cheers, J

01 January 2013
Dam I broke my maya 2013 :/

Luckily I backed up the old scripts but I was looking forward to using this!

01 January 2013
thanks, i'll give it a try.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by petey: Dam I broke my maya 2013 :/

Luckily I backed up the old scripts but I was looking forward to using this!

If it's 2013.5 it's a known issue and hopefully will be fixed soon.

-Justin

"On ne sort pas DU REVE."

01 January 2013
I think Autodesk removed the .res files in 2013.5 that breaks these.

We haven't re-written to fix that. It works in 2013 SP2.

One day when we're not backlogged we can take a look.

01 January 2013
Native IBL Tutorial here:

Native/Builtin IBL

01 January 2013
No SAP version?.. I guess I'll wait.

01 January 2013
Autodesk removed the .res files so we would need to maintain 2 versions, looking into it but might take some time. In the meanwhile you can add the string options through the miDefaultOptions node and use the technique without the UI.

01 January 2013
Hey David, how would one go about adding the string options? Would love to make use of this right away.

01 January 2013
You can find them in the documentation: http://docs.autodesk.com/MENTALRAY/...ental-ray-help/

Manual > Scene Description Language > Scene Entities/Options > Image-Based Lighting

It lists all of them. We use:

Environment Lighting Mode: Automatic
Environment Lighting Quality
Environment Lighting Shadow
Environment Lighting Scale
Environment Lighting Resolution
Environment Lighting Cache
Environment Lighting Shader Samples

01 January 2013
Thanks David, I think I'm almost there! I can't quite get it working though. Maybe I'm not using the correct ibl node? I've attached a screenshot, maybe you can see where I've gone wrong.

When I tick emit light on the ibl node it seems to work but that's not the correct method is it?

01 January 2013
'emit light' is exactly what we don't want you to use.

Look at the tutorial on the blog: Native IBL

Use the Maya IBL file/texture area to insert an HDRI. Looks like this is correct.

Then hit 'render' if the string options are in place. Looks like they are but I don't see the main control for the Native IBL

string: environment lighting mode
value: automatic
type: string

Turn off the Maya default light in the render settings 'common' area.

01 January 2013
Ok got it working! Thanks David. I made the mistake of copying the strings from your previous post and the capital letters were making them invalid.

01 January 2013
Oops, sorry, was just listing them from the manual. Didn't mean to throw you off.

Thread Closed share thread