Tree proxys

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Tree proxys

I know how to make proxys but when i went to try a tree i was only able to use one of the shaders i was looking through the Mental tree thread but didn't see the process on hooking up multiple shaders. any thoughts thanks

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Wink

Originally Posted by thehive: I know how to make proxys but when i went to try a tree i was only able to use one of the shaders i was looking through the Mental tree thread but didn't see the process on hooking up multiple shaders. any thoughts thanks

i suppose you´re using mip_binary_proxy, this shader it´s quite outdated, and it´s just for one single geometry (and one single shader consequently)
what you can do is to try with mr assemblies, you need bsp2 for that and there was some slow down with a lot of geometries, but that was long time ago, didn´t check if the newest mray has the same problem

Old 01 January 2013   #3
i am using mip_binary_proxyis there something else i should be using or jus switch over to Vray?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
i saw this ill this ago see how it works thanks

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/au...xy_re ndering/

Old 01 January 2013   #5
im gettin a // Warning: Bounding Box information was not found. when i link the mi to the proxy box

Old 01 January 2013   #6
got it working thank

cheers

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by thehive: got it working thank

cheers

u´re welcome
if you dont mind just check the rendertimes and let us know if they´re higher then before or not, would be helpful thanx

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Originally Posted by dagon1978: u´re welcome
if you dont mind just check the rendertimes and let us know if they´re higher then before or not, would be helpful thanx

I actually did tests on this last night in Maya 2013.5 (Extension). RAM usage is roughly the same (marginally higher with assemblies) and render time was also marginally affected, although only a couple of seconds, which could have been other background processes.

Nonetheless, it's so much faster and easier to set up, I love it. I kind of wish it worked like VRay Proxies though, since modifying the materials has to be done in the source file and re-exported as far as I know at this point (first time using assemblies instead of binary proxies).

On that note; does anyone know of there's a way to modify materials inside the scene it's loaded into?

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Originally Posted by aenrii: I actually did tests on this last night in Maya 2013.5 (Extension). RAM usage is roughly the same (marginally higher with assemblies) and render time was also marginally affected, although only a couple of seconds, which could have been other background processes.

Nonetheless, it's so much faster and easier to set up, I love it. I kind of wish it worked like VRay Proxies though, since modifying the materials has to be done in the source file and re-exported as far as I know at this point (first time using assemblies instead of binary proxies).

On that note; does anyone know of there's a way to modify materials inside the scene it's loaded into?

thanx, good to know... if i have time ill do some test too
so the difference is just few seconds but what was the rendertime?

i guess if u want to change the material you have to do it manually in the .mi (ascii) file, it would be nice to have some tool for that, but im quite sure there´ll never be one from autodesk

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by dagon1978: thanx, good to know... if i have time ill do some test too
so the difference is just few seconds but what was the rendertime?

i guess if u want to change the material you have to do it manually in the .mi (ascii) file, it would be nice to have some tool for that, but im quite sure there´ll never be one from autodesk

If I remember correctly the mip_binaryproxy solution rendered at around 9m30s, and the assembly solution at about 10m20s, however I had slightly moved the camera and during render did some other stuff. So I think the render time is roughly the same, allthough file loading and such might be slower.

Regarding materials, I've seen a few threads on the NVidia/Mental Ray rendering forums that there are ways to edit the calls to shading groups within the .mi files (opening them in a text editor you can see shaders and textures being called at the top). Basically a Maya namespace hack. But I think the simplest way to have the shaders editable in the main scene would be to export the different parts separately, with the material export unchecked and apply to the proxy in the scene, somewhat like the binary proxy workflow.

Cheers

Old 01 January 2013   #11
for me the assembly's are working out great for this particular project. ill post render times with the whole scene when its all set up

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread