Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Lets try this again. Looking for artificial interior lighting tutorial

Please excuse me if this becomes a double post. I tried posting a question on 1/10/2013 but I cannot seem to find my post anywhere. I even tried searching by member names, with no search results.

So on to my question, I had tried previously asking: why is it that every freaking interior lighting tutorial deals with a happy crisp sunny day casting into a window inside the interior room? What about places like hospital hallways and mall-shops where there are no windows, which are some of the examples I will need to setup up lights for and bake onto a texture for light mapping.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

the reason there aren't a lot of tutorials about this is because it's more straightforward than an external sun/sky render. REally, there's not much to say. Make a tube and apply a 32-bit material to use as the source in a V-Ray Light Material and paint some dim areas for realism.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

okay, but what about the people, like myself, who just know that there are point lights, area lights, directional lights, and ambient light? What you have explained to me sounds like a chinese man trying to learn English. I heard about V-ray, but I thought that was only for 3d Studio Max. So have never worked with it, and how would I make a tube? Please excuse my lack of experience with this, but for years, I have never been successful, even with 3 point lighting.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

It's difficult to answer such a broad series of questions. We'll assume you're using mental ray.

For interior lighting, simply recreate the scene. Using mental ray, you should just be using area lights. Your shaders should generally be mia_material-x shaders, no Blinns or Phongs or other native Maya materials.

To make a tube light, simply create an area light and set it to cylinder.

I think it would help us help you if we could analyze a specific render or scene of yours that you're having trouble with.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-14-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Cyberone
SailingAtomSailingAtThem!

portfolio
Simon Bull
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

maybe have a look at some of these?
http://www.floze.org/2008/07/six-tu...de-part-iv.html

Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Cyberone: I am not too sure if this would work with my project. My project is for a video game I am trying to develop. Therefore, I need to focus on creating 2 different maps. 1 Color and 1 ambient occlusion. Can this be done with the method you have provided?

To all others:
As for analizing one particular scene, that is not so much the case. I am trying to focus on flat-panel fluorescent lights that school buildings and hospital buildings use. I have not gotten that far to lighting my exact scene as of yet, but I have been trying to do a practice run on a smaller scale room. Eventually this lighting method I am looking for will deal with 3 of my scenes: a super market, hospital, and the hallways of 3 different schools. Meaning, they will all deal with those flat ceiling panel fluorescent lighting. In addition, I need to keep in mind that this will be for a video game that I would like to design, which means this will require texture baking. However, I am thinking that in the long run, I can still apply the correct lighting effects and then bake it onto a texture. So enough chatting and back to my practice room....

I have 3 mia_material_x
1. walls & ceiling color
2. floor-tiling
3. frosted light-panel

I used 1 Area light and placed right below light-panel. Turned on default mental ray cast shadows and enabled light-shape to rectangle with the high sample setting to 50 and high sample limit setting of 30. The intensity of the light is 7500 quadratic decay. My global render settings are set to default Final Gathering preview and global lighting disabled. Here is my first render. Terrible

Last edited by bntheman : 01-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Okay, I am not sure what happened but I still have not been successful, even with the tutorial that Cyberone has provided. With that, my renders come out with too much of a pinkish hue, and I am still unable to create the white glowing light inside the lightshade. Here is another sample of what I am referring to.

Last edited by bntheman : 01-16-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Your images aren't showing up at all.

Also, are you using the Light_Surface node for your fluorescent shader? It goes in the "Additional Color" slot in the Advanced section of the mia_mat_x. You can link it directly to your Area Light for quick control, or keep them separate for fine-tuning.

But I don't know how this will help you in a video game.

The settings for your Area Light sure are up really high. Were you experiencing grain in your render? I've never gone that high, and rarely even go higher than the default 8/1/1 setting for my arch/viz renderings. There's something else wrong with your scene - the scale perhaps of your scene, which plays a huge factor in mental ray.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
Your images aren't showing up at all.

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully this resolved the problem. Google Sites was adding additional string characters that where not relevant to making the link to work.

Quote:
Also, are you using the Light_Surface node for your fluorescent shader? It goes in the "Additional Color" slot in the Advanced section of the mia_mat_x. You can link it directly to your Area Light for quick control, or keep them separate for fine-tuning.

Please understand that I have never used any of these features, so I do not know what needs to be attached or linked. In other words if there is anything else that needs to be linked, then most likely I did not do that.

Quote:
But I don't know how this will help you in a video game.

As long as I can bake this to a texture, then I am golden. If not, I thought I would give it a try since I not getting other suggestions.

Quote:
The settings for your Area Light sure are up really high. Were you experiencing grain in your render?

I thought the settings were hi myself, but anything below 6000 would only produce a black render.

In the long run, some of the these lighting tuts which discuses about light coming through a window or door, do have that over exposed lighting effect on the window, which I could replace as a fluorescent light. Right?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #10
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Oh silly me. How embarrassing this is. All a long when I had described about the lighting intensity etc to my smaller scaled room, I have never gave my dimensions of the room, which are

300 cm height
365 cm width
300 cm depth

reason for being so big, I was told that Mental Ray looks at real world scale situations, which only comes out to be approx

9ft height
12ft width
9ft depth

that is considered a typical small bedroom in America.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

No need to feel embarrassed, mental ray is a multi-headed monster and no joke to learn! There's a LOT to learn, and it's quite an endeavor. It can be very frustrating at times, just keep at it. Ask questions. Dig through the rendering section here, do searches.

I'll post up my method for area lights with lit geometry for you tomorrow, maybe it'll help you dissect your problems here.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

InfernalDarkness, I was not embarrased over Mental Ray. I was embarassed about the fact I never posted the dimensions of my room. Here all along I have been asking for help and I did not realizes this. Anywho, now that I have posted, what do you think of the size of my room. Being that Maya was set in cenitmeters, I thought by googling the conversions from feet to centimeters would do the trick, but is this what is causing the problem, even though this comes out to standard American measurement?. Also, I have found a tutorial on how to attach a light surface shader to my mia_material_x additiona color channel. However, I am still getting unacceptable glowing results that a real fluorescent light castes out, and I am not at home to post any new images. Being so, maybe it would be better if I did get to see your method of lighting. I cannot wait to see it

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

I'm sorry I can't quite imagine how you set up your light, nor the results you're going for. If you can upload the scene somewhere I'd be interested to take a look. If you also have a reference image for what you're trying to produce, that'd be really helpful as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
bntheman
PRO
portfolio
Bob Bob
clemeton, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat
I'm sorry I can't quite imagine how you set up your light, nor the results you're going for. If you can upload the scene somewhere I'd be interested to take a look. If you also have a reference image for what you're trying to produce, that'd be really helpful as well.

I will post my scene when I get home this afternoon. In the meantime what do you think of this snapshot... I am not sure why the light_surface was not working before, but I changed the rendering quality to production. Now the entire scene lights up just with the light_surface, and a quadratic decay point light.

Last edited by bntheman : 01-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #15
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

My guess would be that it's the point light lighting up your scene, not the Light_Surface shader - unless you have them connected, then it would be both of course! If your turn off the point light, how's it look?

Also, when using mental ray, you should be using only Area Lights, not points or spots or anything else - except with the Sun/Sky, there's the directional light of course. The reason for this is that all lights in real life have area; there's no such thing as a point light or a spot light emanating from an infinitely small "point". Area Lights have area, of course, and thus produce the proper reflections in your surfaces instead of the fake "specularity" solution used by legacy shaders, such as Blinns and Phongs.

But that's just some info for you; I know you're just trying to make content for games, and none of this may have any bearing on your rendering engine in the game.

Thread Closed share thread