Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Dante16
portfolio
Dante
USA

Send a message via MSN to Dante16
Mental Ray Subsurface Scattering

I am having a somewhat difficult time learning about the misss fast simple shader of mental ray. I know about back and forward sss but I do not understand the weight property very much. If anyone could shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
nbreslow
Interplanetary Traveller

portfolio
Nicholas Breslow
CG Generalist
New York, USA

This is my understanding:

Diffuse, Front, Back Weight - Multipliers. If all 3 numbers are equal then the contribution from Diffuse, Front and Back Color will be the same. They can be changed to balance out the color contribution to your liking. The sum of their values don't all need to add up to 1, think of them as a way to increase or decrease the amount of color.

I highly recommend the John Tojek Digital Tutors course on SSS. His DT courses are EXCELLENT and this is no exception.

Hope that help,

-Nick

Old 12-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
newguy4life
Generalist
portfolio
Quin Barclay
3d Generalist
Chicago, USA

I second the Digital Tutors recommendation.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
tobbew
Know-it-All
Torbjörn
Sweden

I haven't seen the DT tutorial people have recommended you, but would recommend this one (which is free and from MI): http://www.lamrug.org/resources/doc...in-tutorial.pdf. Some things to note though is that with MR 3.10 (if you are using 2013 version) newer sss shaders arrived and they are supposed to be easier to use. They have been discussed here in the forum before. Searching for old threads you can probably find some information on the topics.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
Dante16
portfolio
Dante
USA

Send a message via MSN to Dante16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbreslow
This is my understanding:

Diffuse, Front, Back Weight - Multipliers. If all 3 numbers are equal then the contribution from Diffuse, Front and Back Color will be the same. They can be changed to balance out the color contribution to your liking. The sum of their values don't all need to add up to 1, think of them as a way to increase or decrease the amount of color.

I highly recommend the John Tojek Digital Tutors course on SSS. His DT courses are EXCELLENT and this is no exception.

Hope that help,

-Nick

I have gained a very good understanding of the sss shaders in maya 2013 now. I do appreciate your recommendation as I was going to check out John Tojek's tutorial as soon as I got to it in digital tutors rendering learning path. I am now in level 5 out of 7 and I will be checking out Mr. Tojek's tutorial soon as it does look promising =)

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
nbreslow
Interplanetary Traveller

portfolio
Nicholas Breslow
CG Generalist
New York, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante16
I have gained a very good understanding of the sss shaders in maya 2013 now. I do appreciate your recommendation as I was going to check out John Tojek's tutorial as soon as I got to it in digital tutors rendering learning path. I am now in level 5 out of 7 and I will be checking out Mr. Tojek's tutorial soon as it does look promising =)

It is really great, glad you plan on watching it. He covers the latest and greatest SSS shaders in Maya/Mental Ray 2013. The part on wavelength dependent scatter is excellent IMHO.

-Nick

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread