Render not happening

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Question Render not happening

Hi there

I have a rather peculiar problem with Maya 2013 and rendering. Most instances, the render won't even go further than 0% when I batch render, although, when I render in the render view, I see progress and get a result. Now, this isn't so much of a problem currently, since it's a still that I am working on, but I'm worried for when I do animations and dynamics.

I'm currently using Maya 2013 with Mental Ray as my render engine
I've used Ed Whetstone's Kludge city to generate a few buildings and then I've plugged an IBL node into my scene with the following settings changed from the default node settings:
Color Gain Value: 5
Primary Visiblity: off

I also have a mia photographic exposure node plugged in on my camera, with the following settings:
Cm2 Factor: 1000
Film Iso: 100
Camera Shutter 80
F number 5.6
Vignetting: 0
Burn Highllights: 0
Crush Blacks 0.250
Saturation: 1
Gamma: 2.2

As well as a Directional light to act as my sunlight

I'm also using Final Gather on these settings:
Accuracy: 250
Point Density: 1
Point Interpolation: 25
Secondary Diffuse Bounces: 3
Filter: 2

My MIA passes are as follows:

Ambient Occlusion
Beauty
Diffuse Material Color
Raw Shadow
Reflection
Refraction

All set on 4X32 RGBA(float)
My framebuffer is set to 4X32 RGBA (float)
My default light is disabled
Color management is enabled on:
Input - sRGB
output - Linear sRGB

Did I miss anything?

Thank you in advace for any help you might offer, I appreciate it.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
how much ram do you have? Have you watched ram usage while trying to render? Is the ram maxing out?

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I'm using 6GB RAM, no I haven't checked the RAM usage yet, because when I render, i don't do anything else on my laptop, I try to let Maya use as much as it needs for rendering. The RAM hasn't maxed out yet as far as I've seen, but I had this same problem with Maya, when I was in college earlier this year, there I had 8GB Ram.

The system I'm running now, is new and should be better because I have a stronger core. I'm running on:

Dell XPS L702 Laptop with:
i7 2.2 GHz
6GB RAM
3GB Graphics Card where 1.5GB is dedicated to video streaming and the other 1.5 is dedicated to graphics, or that's what the instruction manual said.

This problem occurs at random when I use the MIA_x_passes materials alongside directional lights. Why would this happen? Are there any specific plug ins that I need to do to my materials when using a directional light? Or is it just a Maya 2013 bug?

Old 12 December 2012   #4
I tried a batch render now with a new scene and I got the following error when I want to load render passes:

# Error: RuntimeError: Error occurred during execution of MEL script
line 1: Cannot display, image file does not exist: C:/Work/Sanet Werk/MCTS Road map/Windows 8 slogo/images/tmp/passes_lyr/MCSD_reflection_1.041666667.png #

So take into consideration the current problem, add to the above mentioned problem, is my render engine even rendering at all?

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Try name.#.ext instead of your name.png #
.. or "Cannot display, image file does not exist:",.. sounds like a permission issue. Try rendering locally.
and see if it persists.
Also, try saving as .mb instead of .ma and test again. I've seen issues like this on Deadline if you are on a renderfarm.

john

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread