rendering wireframe what should I choose surface shader or lambert

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Question rendering wireframe what should I choose surface shader or lambert

I am going to render wireframe, but before I do so, I want to make sure if the best way is to go by surface shader or by lambert,

If I choose to do wireframe with AO then the values of mib_amb_occlusion will be multiplied by that of material so in that case it will make more sense with lambert..

so what I am looking for what should I pick the best settings ?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
For rendering wireframes, I usually use a surface shader combined with enabling contour rendering and setting the property difference to be around all faces.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
so your answer is surfaceShader, i guess with all other shader type we would have to set the same setting you mentioned...

Old 10 October 2012   #4
As far as contour rendering, yes. I believe all of the shader models will support it. Contour rendering is enabled on the shading group node, and then also in the Features tab of the render globals. So in your case, perhaps you might like to use a surface shader, with a mib_amb_occlusion piped into the out_color. and then with contour rendering enabled it will produce a nice wireframe with soft occlusion like shading. But this could have just as easily been done with a lambert or a mia_material. I just prefer the surface shader because it doesnt require any scene lighting.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Red face

thanks that was helpful, I was trying to connect mib_ambient_occlusion and found it multiply effect so I thought about using my book[artist guide to 3d rendering], well it was somewhat helpful otherwise most of stuff went over my head... .. i researched and found plenty of scripts on wireframe all seemed very straight forward ...

Old 10 October 2012   #6
i am trying to wireframe render nurbsSurface I am only getting edges not the inner sections.. why so ...

Attached Images
File Type: png nurbs.png (7.9 KB, 13 views)

Old 10 October 2012   #7
probably because there's no contrast property in the contour settings for drawing lines on isoparms. Try converting your surfaces to polygons and it will work.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
you mean their is no other way rendering wireframe of nurbsurface and it has to be converted to polygon..

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread