Vray camera and dome light

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Vray camera and dome light

I have a problem, i have a scene using linear workflow and a dome light and a attached HDRI.
When I activate the vray phisical camera the render goes black.
I searched on web and fiind a way , to uncheck 'Exposure color correction' , but is a problem here, im not able to control the F number,lens shift, shuter speed and ISO.
What could be the problem?

09 September 2012
Just increase the Dome light intensity until you start seeing your scene.

Do this in RT for faster feedback.

Also, Peter Guthrie has a good workflow

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/20...hting-workflow/

09 September 2012
Thank you for tutorial, but i need to use gamma 2.2 mostly because I want to postwork my renders.
Is corect to have lower gamma than 1.0?

09 September 2012
I think it's just easier to lower your F-stop value for your physical camera or increase the ISO setting. I don't bother with DOF so I usually set the F-stop to 1.4-ish to get back the light that I lost when enabling the physical camera.

09 September 2012
This settings works very well, but when I try to do this on a scene with scale setted on meters the screen is black.
Tried to increase the dome light intensity, to increase the ISO and decrease f-stop but no effect.
What can I decrease or disable?

09 September 2012
can u share the scene?

09 September 2012
Sure! Here it is, a scene saved in maya 2012 vray 2.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8...SDRMWTdYcGZCOUE

Thank you!

09 September 2012
fixed

for some reason, ur scene is in meters? dont know but looks like vray has a probl with meters (and phy cam), never checked before but all my scenes r in cm, so i never had a probl like this before

cheers

Last edited by bazuka : 09 September 2012 at 04:49 PM.

09 September 2012
Yes the scene is on meters. Thank you for solving my problem and the time you wasted for me!
Found also a solution, to decrease the 'Shutter Speed' to about 0.010.
Is this a correct solution? Gives me good results but don't know if is corect.

09 September 2012
my solution was simple, just switch to cm in settings

my recommendation is to use cm always and u shouldnt have any probl, with extreme values for any settings

cheers

09 September 2012
Ok! Thank you again, really apreciate!

09 September 2012
Quote: Found also a solution, to decrease the 'Shutter Speed' to about 0.010.
Is this a correct solution?

I think that means an exposure of 100 seconds. Not unusual on a moonless night outside, but unusual for a studio setup.

That's if I got my maths right with the .010 shutter speed.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by bazuka: my solution was simple, just switch to cm in settings

my recommendation is to use cm always and u shouldnt have any probl, with extreme values for any settings

cheers

When using physical settings you need to use real-world numbers.
If your light intensity of 1 looks good in CM, then when your scale is in M your light would need to be 100(100cm in 1m).

Sure your camera settings work in a still scene, but they will introduce lots of problems in animation as your exposure length is equivalent to 100 seconds long.
Also in a studio environment people will not understand your settings!

01 January 2013
Generally you'll want to adjust your light. If you want to render out the dome light's background, increasing the intensity might cause your background to become too bright that it turns white. In this case scroll down a bit and adjust the Diffuse contribution instead.

As for camera settings ... I usually adjust the ISO. F stop and shutter speed should be set properly for depth-of-field and motion blur to come out correctly.... shutter speed is very important if you do animation. Try to set it to match your frame rate, or set it to be video/movie camera instead of stills and Vray will take care of this for you. (Well, I know we rarely do in-camera depth-of-field, but I tend to think about this too when I adjust my f-stop just in case.)

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread