Native IBL vs user_ibl_env, which is more approriate?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #16
glad you told me about that, big thanks. I was just testing it, and it seems the quality is more or less the same as hdrlabs, SIBL GUI. would you mind having a script that automatically inputs those string options for you though?

I mapped my hdr into the maya ibl, but left emit light off, and then enabled the string options. Although there is no way for me to be able to not have the IBL cast reflections, since if i disable "visible as environment" under its render stats, i disable the dome light as well.

Also if i find that there is no FG at all being casted from the HDR when i enable the native IBL dome light. There is only indirect light from other objects in the scene.

On a side note and a little bit off topic, would you know of any fix to the color picker bug in maya 2012. It just doesn't seem to work whenever i try and color pick something, i find sometimes i can have it pick the color successfully if i press the windows key on my keyboard and quickly go back to maya.

Last edited by Jinian : 12 December 2012 at 08:58 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Correct, the Native IBL is direct lighting, FG is now ONLY indirect object to object lighting. FG now ignores the environment making it faster and you can reduce your accuracy.

This means your lighting casts correct/multiple shadows based on the HDR and not a muddy/occlusion-like shadow from FG alone. It's also direct and brute-force meaning it's stable. So now you may have grain at lower quality instead of flicker. This is usually ok in motion.

You mean this for the color picker?: http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya...he-maya-ui.html

The color picker disappears if you move off it in the UI as a focus change. Kind of annoying.

Old 12 December 2012   #18
Ability to use maya procedural nodes without manual baking makes Native_IBL preferable for me.
As for speed, when i made tests with both methods, rendertimes were quite same.

But what i like the most, is how fast mental ray becomes when you use BSDF shaders with Native_IBL.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
Native IBL and BSDF materials combine to use multiple importance sampling, this is what makes it so fast especially with Unified Sampling.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread