CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya > Maya Rendering
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
Highly caffeinated
Trey Harrell
Toronto, Canada
I have to disagree a bit here. With a bit of tuning, you can likely get your render times down more -- and if you're testing blonde hair with super hot highlights, have a look at your samplerate pass... 1-24 may be too high (try 1-12 instead). But that's not really the issue I'm getting at.

With VRay, you don't have the option to turn off raytracing entirely like you do in other renderers (including MR's rasterizer mode)-it's simply not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm seeing incredibly detailed hair & fur grooms render in 5-10 minutes at 2k with motion blur and brute force GI. It's many times faster than Shave, as well as being far more flexible as to where your groom comes from and how it gets simmed... and MANY orders of magnitude more cost effective (price out Shave licenses for 500 render blades and get back to me... unless you're using PRMan/3DL you have to pay for every single render blade, instead of just ribgen time).

Sure, for fur especially, if you're using deep shadows and not tracing, using fakey point based GI, using sigma hiding and the like, you're going to see better performance out of REYES land. My argument is that in production, the benefits to not splitting creatures/characters between two render pipelines, as well as getting traced reflections and brute force GI outweigh a few minutes per frame in my case. And I've seen the render times come extremely close to most apples-to-apples comparisons with other render engines at the same quality.

Also, keep in mind that you're playing with a 1.0 release with rough edges, somewhat clunky setup and a learning curve... especially for tuning.

So, while it might not work for you for whatever reason, it's been pretty great for me in production so far (as hair or fur), with images that look great and render times between great and acceptable, all things being relative. It will be a while before I can get into any specifics, but do know it's being used in production right now and fits my needs really well.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
detail freak
Felix Lahme
Essen, Germany
Many thanks for the continued input, Trey!

Obviously, I'm not at all opposed to getting this to work and well aware of the advantages of not having to split render-pipelines, getting raytraced reflections of hair etc etc. That's why I'm trying to get this to work as well and as quickly as possible, to actually be able to use it.

What really frustrates me is the bold advertisement combined with questionable demo videos and lack of official info and documentation and hence the time needed to spend just trying to find how to make it work. A basic recipe to get a basic quality render should in my humble opinion be covered by the docs or a video going along with the release, rather than showing me how to render hair created using a plugin I doubt most Max-users have or how to create a rainbow-shave-ice-colored Yeti, for which I have exceedingly little use in production. As an example, the 3Delight docs are less than really accommodating, but I was able to get to a very usable hair render swiftly. Unless I'm particularly dense or am reading over some important info in the Vray docs linked here by Vlado, the page covering the hair material does not really get me there at all. Anyways, I guess really usable documentation is another issue altogether.

Your input has brought me a lot closer so far to getting a decent render than anything I got out of the docs or the ChaosGrp videos and I am very grateful for that.

I'll keep trying when I have the time, but as you are without a doubt aware of, time is not something most of us have available in abundance to play and test as we please. Btw, if I may ask, what kind of hardware setup are you rendering on to get those detailed renders you are mentioning?

PS: Btw, I'm looking at this whole issue more from the perspective of animation, rather than rendering a single frame.
"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do."-Bruce Lee

Last edited by TheRazorsEdge : 02-27-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #18
how does one go about using texture to the Root and/or the Tip of the hair with the vray hair shader.......

i found using the hair sampler with a ramp node can allow changing the color from Root to Tip, but i cant seem to add a texture based on the assigned meshes UVs..

anyone know how to do this?????

Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Felix Waubert de Puiseau
Copenhagen, DK
Does someone know how to create color variation across the surface with the VrayHairmtl3 in Maya on dynamic hairs?

I want to create a fur rug, something like this
Could I use Vertex colors in some way? Some special Vray option I don't know about?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread