MentalRay 3.9 - native UI integration

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2012
Hi all !

I'm sorry I didn't made any update since october 2011. I had less time to work on this script.
I will try to post an update today. I'm using it with 2013 at work and there is no issue.

@MarkoShovljanski : Can you post the exact error you have ? with the line number please.
It's not triggering any error here. But it may be changes I made that I don't remember.

For the light relative scale yes you need to had it to have correct illumination and reflection for non BSDF shaders., I already made it on my local version. And it's set to 0.318 by default. It's up to the user to change back to the 1.0 legacy value.

@Bitter : About the user_ibl_env, I was not able to use it, I don't understand how it should work. For my test, I had to plug it as a light shader in an areaLight (visible but with a customShape selected to disable it's reflection) and as an environment in the camera to have the correct reflection from the environment.
Is this the correct use ?

04 April 2012
Cool, looking forwards to an update when you get the chance

04 April 2012
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=87&t=1047520

user_ibl_env usage

04 April 2012
Thank you for your work.

This is the error I get every time I open the render settings window:

// Warning: file: C:/Users/blablabla/Documents/maya/2013-x64/prefs/scripts/createMayaSoftwareCommonGlobalsTab.mel line 166: The flag "-renderTypeEntry" is obsolete and has been replaced by the "-fileRuleEntry" flag. Please use the new flag. //

04 April 2012
very small update : v1.2.2
MentalRay 3.9 UI native integration v 1.2.2

change in 1.2.2 :
- Fixed error with maya 2013 with the command "workspace". (compatibility with maya 2012 and prior is conserved)
- added "light relative scale" under the frameBuffer frame in the quality tab. (default to 0.318)
- disabled greying options when Iray is enabled even if option are useless. This is done to ensure the user can access all needed fonction. It's up to the user to now how to use it.

I don't have time right now to look into the new indirect illumination options (FG+IP etc), but I'll look into it as soon as I can !

04 April 2012
Thank you very much! I'll try it out next chance I get.

Cheers!

04 April 2012
Many thanks !

04 April 2012
Many thanks from here as well - prooved to be incredibly useful already!

05 May 2012
Excellent! Thanks a lot Mini-Zun!

05 May 2012
Iray panel not showing in maya 2012

Hi, I just download the files from: MentalRay 3.9 native integration 1.2.2 (maya script)

And the iray panel isnīt showing in the render settings in maya 2012. I test it in maya 2013 and is ok.

Should I use the MentalRay 3.9 native integration 1.2.1 (maya script) insted?

Thanks.

06 June 2012
Hi, where i can find documentation about the new ibl? how to use? (ie lighting mode, light cache, etc.., should i turn it of or on?) i cant find in help (F1)

should i create IBL (in indirect tab) before tweaking native ibl? what it light relative scale?
kinda new for this stuff.. any tips very appreciated, thanks!

06 June 2012
Hey asinn,

don't highjack this sticky thread with such questions.
This is "only" about the script.

Just do a search in the Maya Rendering Thread - plenty of infos there....

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...ight=native+ibl

but these goddamn bastards can swim!!!

06 June 2012
Originally Posted by asinn: Hi, where i can find documentation about the new ibl? how to use? (ie lighting mode, light cache, etc.., should i turn it of or on?) i cant find in help (F1)

should i create IBL (in indirect tab) before tweaking native ibl? what it light relative scale?
kinda new for this stuff.. any tips very appreciated, thanks!

Well, this is a good explenation:
http://core-cg.com/support/mental-core-documentation/

06 June 2012
@naik. sorry i didnt mean hijack other people thread,

@ naik & MarkoShovljanski , thanks for the link

Cheers

06 June 2012
Black Renders on iray materials

Hi, i am a new member of the cg society.
I have read through this whole thread and many others, and vastly appreciate what you've all figured out.
if someone could help me set up iRay, i would be so stoked. I've installed the dlls into the bin folder(from my standalone 3.9), kept the stock maya 2013 prefs. and everything seems to have worked seemlessly. however, after activating the iray settings and trying various mental ray materials, my renders are still CPU based slugging along not sharing the load on the gpu at all., and the bsdf materials render completely black.
my video card is definately CUDA based, any ideas?

Thread Closed share thread