MentalRay 3.9 - native UI integration

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2011   #16
Originally Posted by chuckie7413: Yeah unfortunately Autodesk changed something and progressive no longer works with IBL.

It was working back in 2010 but they changed something and always crashes.

Very very annoying.

Would like to know if anyone has it working with IPR though. I tried changing some render option settigns, similar to how people set up their scene to render with Iray but it seems that yes you can get progressive to render with IPR but for me it was not actually progressing. It would do the first substep and then just not refine.

Rich

Bizarre, appreciate the heads up.

So progressive should work if I just forgo IPR then?

Old 11 November 2011   #17
New update gives me no errors, no problem. But no iray tab either. Maybe it's because I have MentalCore installed, which itself creates one additional tab. I did not change any render settings before.

Old 11 November 2011   #18
this looks absolutely awesome! I am your humble servant!

Old 11 November 2011   #19
Originally Posted by 13xbmspec: Is there something I'm doing wrong with Progressive Rendering?

Here's the scene, simple MIA_X_Passes (Default) on a sphere with a IBL for reflections and lighting.

I'll render the scene with Progressive turned on (Using IPR in the Render View) and it'll render successfully. But, as soon as I make a change (in this instance, color) It crashes.

Am I just using it incorrectly?

Originally Posted by chuckie7413: Yeah unfortunately Autodesk changed something and progressive no longer works with IBL.

It was working back in 2010 but they changed something and always crashes.

Very very annoying.

Would like to know if anyone has it working with IPR though. I tried changing some render option settigns, similar to how people set up their scene to render with Iray but it seems that yes you can get progressive to render with IPR but for me it was not actually progressing. It would do the first substep and then just not refine.

Rich

Yes I hear there was something to do with a wrong/new dll that make IPR crash.
Would'nt it be possible to take the old dll file from older maya ?
I don't have any older maya installed, can someone try it ? We're taking iray dlls from max so why not from older maya version

@MarkoShovljanski:
There must be something to do with MentalCore. I don't know how it change maya's render settings. To add a new tab we must add it to registerMentalRayRenderer.mel
And the last sourced wins, so mentalCore is certainly loaded after all mel files. Can't you tell me what does this MEL command returns :
"whatIs mentalrayAddTabs" ?
This should tell you where maya is taking his "registerMentalRayRenderer.mel".

I made a medium update, it's now version 1.1.0
modification in 1.1.0 :
- big rewrite of indirect features behavior to enable IP + FG + Importons.
- big rewrite of all stringOptions's scriptJobs (it is used to update the UI when ones change the stringOptions directly) to make it cleaner.
- Enabling Iray now disable Unified Sampling for compatibility issue.

link to creative crash :
MentalRay 3.9 UI native integration v 1.1.0

Also removed Irradiance particles rays limit (was previously limited to 512)
About Irradiance Particles, there was a discussion about how number of rays should be handled when there is more than one pass (e.i. indirect passes > 0).
But I was unable to find any relevant information about this. Anyone have a clue ?

Old 11 November 2011   #20
Smile

O yes, it is mental core, installed as module.

whatIs mentalrayAddTabs; // Result: Mel procedure found in: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/modules/MentalCore/scripts/mc_registerMentalRayRenderer.mel //

So I added your line on the same place in mentalcore's file:

renderer -edit
-addGlobalsTab "Iray"
"createMentalRayIrayTab"
"updateMentalRayIrayTab"
mentalRay;

and it's working of course. How did you find that command, hehe, never mind.
Thank you.

Old 11 November 2011   #21
Quote: Yes I hear there was something to do with a wrong/new dll that make IPR crash.
Would'nt it be possible to take the old dll file from older maya ?
I don't have any older maya installed, can someone try it ? We're taking iray dlls from max so why not from older maya version

Can you give me the name of the .dll file (edit: and location)? I'll give it a shot. I have several versions of Maya here on campus.

Old 11 November 2011   #22
@MarkoShovljanski:
Glad it's'working now : )
But I wonder what happend if you enable mental core an iray at the same time ><

@13xbmspec:
I'm not sure if IPR has his own dll.
Of course you can take all file related to mentalray from an old maya and override thoses in maya 2012. But you will end up having an old mentalray version. I'll check tomorrow : )

Last edited by Mini-Zun : 11 November 2011 at 07:23 PM.

Old 11 November 2011   #23
Small update to fix an error in feature tab, the Contour options were over everything else

link to creative crash :
MentalRay 3.9 UI native integration v 1.1.1

: )

Old 11 November 2011   #24
@Hans

Thank you sir! This is a game changer for me, as I found the whole exposing "strings" workflow daunting (and a healthy dose of laziness to boot).

These 3.9 features are amazing! Mental Ray is cool again.

Great job.

Cheers,
Matt

Old 11 November 2011   #25
New update !
Version 1.2.0
MentalRay 3.9 UI native integration v 1.2.0

new features in 1.2.0 :
- all string options can now have layer override.

Despite what I said on the first post, it is possible to override multi-attributes
All string options can now be overridden by right clicking on them. But I didn't find a way to make the attribute turn orange, so for now it just change to bold. I'm sad for it : (
Of course the modification have been made also on old string options (those integrated by autodesk : Importons, Irradiance particles etc.).

Hope you like it

Old 11 November 2011   #26
Brilliant work

Old 11 November 2011   #27
Nice update!

Cheers,

Rich

Old 11 November 2011   #28
Hello there, thank you so much for your work on this. It really works great

I have one question, to "activate" the sIBL mode what can you use? The normal IBL, any environment shader.. which one do you use?

Is it possible to use sIBL for this workflow? (projected hdri into geometry lighting the scene):

Source: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/ben...lighting-tools/

Old 11 November 2011   #29
Originally Posted by MarkoShovljanski: O yes, it is mental core, installed as module.

whatIs mentalrayAddTabs; // Result: Mel procedure found in: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/modules/MentalCore/scripts/mc_registerMentalRayRenderer.mel //

So I added your line on the same place in mentalcore's file:

renderer -edit
-addGlobalsTab "Iray"
"createMentalRayIrayTab"
"updateMentalRayIrayTab"
mentalRay;

and it's working of course. How did you find that command, hehe, never mind.
Thank you.

Thanks for this. Was having the same issue.

Cheers,

Richard

Old 11 November 2011   #30
Originally Posted by Ruis: Hello there, thank you so much for your work on this. It really works great

I have one question, to "activate" the sIBL mode what can you use? The normal IBL, any environment shader.. which one do you use?

Is it possible to use sIBL for this workflow? (projected hdri into geometry lighting the scene):

Source: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/ben...lighting-tools/

Hi Rui,

Be sure not to get the Native IBL mode confused with sIBL (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/index.html) Not the same thing.

To answer your question though. The Native IBL mode will not work with this ie. It will not emit light from a texture on geometry. It needs to be from an hdr mapped to either the IBL node (that you can create from the render settings) or by creating a mib_lookup_spherical node into your cameras mental ray environment shader slot.

At the moment the only available way (off the shelf) to emit light from geo is with FG or better yet would be to use Importons as it can importance sample the light. However I think there are known issues with importons/Irradiance Particles with reflective/refractive objects.

There are some free 3rd party geometry light shaders out there but do not think they importance sample (not sure).

If anyone else has any info on this would be cool to hear.

Cheers,

Richard

Thread Closed share thread