Mystery Membrane Node?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2011
Mystery Membrane Node?

So i was browsing the Maya API to find out if we could visualize the Nucleus wind vectors.
When all of a sudden i stumble across a node called membrane.

My life inside Maya flashes before my eyes, as i realize what i'm reading. A nCloth "deformer" node that simulations dynamic behavior.
Quote: The nCloth node applys dynamic motion to a deformable mesh. This can be used to simulate cloth behavior, as well as other deformable dynamic shapes, such as metal.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/may...s/membrane.html

So i dive strait into the node and for the life of me can't figure out why this node is not front and center on the feature list, it's incredible! It has all the benefits of nCloth but scrubs and is very simple. Collision detection, stretch and bend resistance, Turbulence, wind!, However the only indication it even exists is in the node documentations. I had to write my own scripts to apply it and you can't weight it on and off like a normal deformer.

Can anyone tell me why i should't use this node more often? It seems to float somewhere between a deformer and a simulation. Other than that I can't seem to find a good reason not to use it.

05 May 2011
membrane node , that just sounds cool, doesn't it? Sorry, not much to contribute, but you sparked my interest.

05 May 2011
Thats pretty cool.
I have a character I want to try it out on tomorrow.
I was using the muscle skin deformer...which is pretty solid.
But maybe this will be even better.
From a very basic test this looks promising.
Good on you for sharing!
Thanks for this

05 May 2011
Sounds awesome, thanks for the heads up. Perhaps it just wasn't quite finished GUI wise in time for shipping 2012? We'll probably see it in the next version, or a SAP that comes out, hopefully!

05 May 2011
well, it's been there since at least Maya 2009, because i'm currently testing on it. Very interesting stuff!

edit : i found a script that's suppose to create the node and do the connections at scripts/others/ (while trying to find other stuff, lol).
it's called "createMembrane.mel" . Why they're not promoting this node is beyond me...

Last edited by r4inm4ker : 05 May 2011 at 06:47 AM.

05 May 2011
Ya doesn't seem like it's changes much since it was added.
Nice find with the mel script. I have already made a python script to add it.

Don't forget to add the restshape. You can create some nice results if you apply the membrane after a deformer then hook up the previous shape to restshape.

You can also use the rest length to make a relaxed effect. I also find that pushout is for the most part better than collision. Also only one collision mesh allowed so just use mesh combine when you need to have multiple collision objects.

05 May 2011
Thanks for that, that is interesting indeed!
It can do some really nice things - though, from my quick tests, it seems too have its limitations.
I hope they will take this a little further in the future!
I really like the Volume Tracking thing on a deformer...

05 May 2011
awesome...

so did you ever figure out how to visualize wind vectors?

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

05 May 2011
for the not so tech savvy amongst us could you help to load and use this node. I tried to copy paste the mel line into the command line to no avail.

thanks

update i tried createNode membrane and it created the node however im still at a loss for how to connect it up... the needing of the mel script mentioned above..anyone willing to step me through the set up please and thanks

Last edited by mandark1011 : 05 May 2011 at 05:12 PM.

05 May 2011
Originally Posted by mandark1011: for the not so tech savvy amongst us could you help to load and use this node. I tried to copy paste the mel line into the command line to no avail.

thanks

update i tried createNode membrane and it created the node however im still at a loss for how to connect it up... the needing of the mel script mentioned above..anyone willing to step me through the set up please and thanks

I havent touched this yet but looks as though there is an inputMesh and outputMesh connections for you here, also collideMesh and restShape. Just feed your inputs using the connection editor. If you graph a nCloth you can see how its done.

Actually just source the mel script and run.
createMembrane.mel

Last edited by Aikiman : 05 May 2011 at 06:30 PM.

05 May 2011
oh ok thanks Aikiman ill give that a try ..where is the mel located?

05 May 2011
Originally Posted by mandark1011: oh ok thanks Aikiman ill give that a try ..where is the mel located?

The mel script ought to be in the scripts folder in the root directory where maya is installed but you dont need to know where it is. If you run this code in the script editor it will source and load it for you.

source createMembrane;
createMembrane;

You need to have a mesh selected first before you run it.

05 May 2011
just had a quick look at it!, wow, its like maya finally has LW style realtime displacements ala ncloth .. and more !

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

05 May 2011
appreciate it! Cant wait to play with it....

works thanks.

Last edited by mandark1011 : 05 May 2011 at 09:32 PM.

05 May 2011
edit, nevermind, had a blind moment lol

Last edited by Kakkoii : 05 May 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Thread Closed share thread