Houdini Ocean Toolkit for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2010
someone posted this on a other forum ...

( hemade it )

Some video useing HOT for Maya simple setup

http://www.vimeo.com/8036704

http://www.vimeo.com/8036664

Basic tutorial one guy ask me.

http://www.vimeo.com/8049991

more of the topic can be found here :

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php...in-mr-for-maya/

10 October 2010
Oke now i got a real big problem...

I have a new computer and installed maya 2011 on win 7 + the hot ocean plugin.
The problem is ... Maya keeps crashing as soon as i press render.
When i make a plane and i put the deformer on it .. it works well then i go to my shaders and i drag the Hot ocean shader on the plane. ( plane gets red)
Then when i want to render i select mental ray and press render... BOEM crash!
when i render with Maya it works... well it doesnt crash. But ineed Mental ray.

any one else have the same problem?

10 October 2010
Quote: I have a new computer and installed maya 2011 on win 7 + the hot ocean plugin.
The problem is ... Maya keeps crashing as soon as i press render.
When i make a plane and i put the deformer on it .. it works well then i go to my shaders and i drag the Hot ocean shader on the plane. ( plane gets red)
Then when i want to render i select mental ray and press render... BOEM crash!
when i render with Maya it works... well it doesnt crash. But ineed Mental ray.

Same problem here....

edit: Okay did some testing and I think the shader is not meant to be connected as a mr material shader, you need to connect it to the mr displacement, shadow and photon like in the example scene.

http://scorpes.3dhype.com

Last edited by Robbert : 10 October 2010 at 01:05 PM.

10 October 2010
well... dont know how to do that.
So i took the example scene and took out what i needed ( still testing with it )
but an other question .. is your maya also freezing evry time? With me it is freezing and when i switch applications it unfreezes.. reaaaaly strange but it happens like 30 time a minute.
So i was wondereing is it the plug in or just something else?

10 October 2010
thanks for the plugin, really helping me in current project. Any chance of compiling a maya 2011 32bit version??

10 October 2010
I already have a million maya installations on my pc But I think I'll get the 2011 32bit and recompile it in the coming days.

Oh and don't drag and drop it onto an object. Maya creates wrong connections to the shading engine node. That is causing the crashes. Please use it like in the provided example.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by colt: I already have a million maya installations on my pc But I think I'll get the 2011 32bit and recompile it in the coming days.

Oh and don't drag and drop it onto an object. Maya creates wrong connections to the shading engine node. That is causing the crashes. Please use it like in the provided example.

Thanks, Colt.

I am very exciting with your new version!

11 November 2010
Okay, I added a 2011 32bit compile to the package. Redownload if interested.

Cheers, Nico

12 December 2010
Oke well ive got Maya 2011.5 advanced subscription pack installed now. So i had to reinstall the plugin.

I putted the .dll in
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack\mentalray\lib

and the .MI in
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya 2011 Subscription Advantage Pack\mentalray\include

( i hope this i right )

but now when i start maya and open a scene with the ocean in it.. maya crashes.

did i install it wrong or is it Maya 2011.5?

01 January 2011
dynamic Buoy

Hi,
First off thank you all for making great effort in making this fine shader work.
Im trying to somehow plug Maya dynamic Buoy in to system but having hard time figuring this out.
My general idea is to use deformer object to run the Buoy system. By using Geometry constrain I can put something on the surface and it follows. Point on surface expression can also be used but since all the nice coding is already implemented in to Mayas own buoy system Im wondering if I can somehow reroute data to come from hot ocean shader and use all the nice extra stuff :-)
Any ideas?

Thanks

01 January 2011
That shouldn't be too hard to do. The "Float Selected Objects" is just some lines of mel. If you take a closer look at the expression you'll see it only calls the Maya Ocean in one line.

float $disp[] = `colorAtPoint -u $u -v $v -u (($u + $xoff)*$xwidth) -v (($v + $zoff)*$xwidth) -u (($u - $xoff)*$xwidth) -v (($v - $zoff)*$xwidth) -u (($u - $zoff)*$zwidth) -v (($v + $xoff)*$zwidth) -u (($u + $zoff)*$zwidth) -v (($v - $xoff)*$zwidth) NormalSea_oceanShader1`;

Here it gets 5 values in a cross shape around the locator. If you change that call into something that gets the values from the hotOcean you should be able to make the script work with the hotOcean.

(This is purely theoretical after taking a quick look at mayas code.)

The "Add dynamic bouy" is even simpler with just one value lookup:

float $disp[] = `colorAtPoint -u $u -v $v NormalSea_oceanShader1`;

01 January 2011
re

Thanks,
That was my idea to but it didn't work. I tried to take it from deformer as well as from displaced surface but there is always some error. My idea is to use deformed plane as guide for floating motion that way if there are more objects I can easily see what and how big swaying really is and on top of that use it as collision object (per object). Even do I could to some degree fake it with Maya ocean patch of similar height.

01 January 2011
Unhappy

Hello, thank you for sharing this plugin with the community.

But I have a problem loading the deformer plugin:
What I've done is:
1. Create a directory in my my docs\maya\2011-x64\plugins
2. Copied the 64bit version of hotOceanDeformer.mll and libfftw3f-3.dll to this directory
3. Added "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH=c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\2011-x64\plugins\;$MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" to the Maya.env file
4. Then started Maya 2011 64bit and tried to load the plugins. The result is:

// Error: line 1: Unable to dynamically load : c:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/maya/2011-x64/plugins/hotOceanDeformer.mll The specified module could not be found.

// 
   // Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found.

// 
   // Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found.
   (hotOceanDeformer) // 

I think, I have all versions of the redistributable for VC++ 9.0.

Do you know what I've done wrong?

Best regards,
Teodor

01 January 2011
I've successfully installed it after copying the fft dll to the maya bin folder.
Sorry for the noise.

02 February 2011
Any chance of porting this shader to vray for maya ?

reply share thread