CGTalk > Software Specific Forums > Autodesk Maya > Maya Dynamics
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Flyer93
portfolio
Costa Rica

Fire effect: The better way to do it.

Hi there, I'm a CG student and this is my first post in this forum!

I'm working in a project which we have to develop a some kind of weird fire, it's like a giant bonfire, (that was the explanation of our customer) and I began to make experiments with Fire effect of the Maya Dynamics, I began to read about the settings and make some tests, and well, I'm not the happiest man of the world with that fire, I need that the flames follow lik a cone shape, so, I made a collider cone shape but the particles of the fire doesn't crash with the cone shape, and well, the visual quality of the fire isn't the best, and I heard that in 3Ds Max we can reach a better quality, and I would like to listen you about some pieces of advice that you can give me.

Every extra piece of advice will be accepted, in special if it's about the Mental Ray render settings that improve the quality of the fire.

Greetings.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
thematt
brain filler

matt
EMCA
France

get some of the fluids fire that are in the visor and start with that.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Flyer93
portfolio
Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt
get some of the fluids fire that are in the visor and start with that.

Yeap, I've already started with it, but I need that the particles make a collision with an object in the scene, I created a object, a passive collider and after that I began with the particles, and the particles didn't crash with the object. :/

With particles do we need a special collider objects to make a crash with particles?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Rynnie
portfolio
Ryan Genchev
Sofia, BG

I'm assuming you're using nParticles not regular ones as your source of emission since you said you're using the Create Passive Collider option. If so make sure it's under the same nucleus node as your particles and not a new one. That's for nParticles only and your flames (if indeed emitted from your particles) will look like they are interacting with the mesh even though that's not really the case.

If you are however using regular particles as fluid emitters what you need to do is select your particles and your geo and go to Particles -> Make collide.

If you want to collide regular particles with regular particles you can fake it by using your particles as a source of emission of a radial field. With nParticles you just turn Self-Collisions on in the Attr Editor - particleShape node.

It's also worth mentioning you can simply collide the fluid itself with the geometry.

Regarding the looks of your fire - try setting the Incandescence ramp's input bias to Constant (it's Temperature by default), plug a yellow/orange-ish color with a high value in the furthest right slider (like H 30 S 50 V 5-10-15 or so), cut off most of the Opacity using the Opacity ramp (leave just 1 or 2 big spikes in the ramp and the rest to 0), increase the fluid's transparency untill it's almost invisible in the viewport, go to Textures -> texture incandescence - turn this on and increase the Frequency as well as the Incand Tex Gain to 2 or 3 or higher, w/e. You should get a decent result.

http://vimeo.com/8192427

This is done using a similar approach. Read the comments.

Last edited by Rynnie : 09-12-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread