delhi, India

Thumbs up Maya pp hidden attributes

May i know about the hidden attributes of Maya classical particles.like

1.Collision time
2.Collision Position
3.Angular Velocity
4.Collision friction cfr
5.Collision Resilience crr

i would like to give thanks in advance if anyone could help me in getting these with at least a little bit explanatory so that we can more knowledge sharing.

Sir Duncan pls help me...........

Old 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

The collisionFriction+Resilience (and all other attributes that are part of the collisionData compound attribute) are used by the data connection to a collision object to the particle system(by classic particles... nucleus particles work differently). Friction is pretty obvious and resilience refer to the bounciness.

The collision attributes that one can add (which appear in the Add Attribute window) are generally for polling information about collisions( to use in expressions ). A good way to try these out is to set particle RenderType to numeric and show the values after creating these attributes. Note that some of the collision attributes were not working for nParticles until Maya2014.

AngularVelocityPP is used by the nParticle rotation feature(computeRotation). It is the rotational velocity. You can set angularVelocityPP0 to provide a start rotation speed. You can also set or reference angularVelocityPP inside runtime expressions.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
lovemaya
MayaGuru
portfolio
MayaGuru
VFX-Artist
delhi, India

Thanks Sir I always Appreciate this thing.Yours answers are very helpful.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
The collisionFriction+Resilience (and all other attributes that are part of the collisionData compound attribute) are used by the data connection to a collision object to the particle system(by classic particles... nucleus particles work differently). Friction is pretty obvious and resilience refer to the bounciness.

The collision attributes that one can add (which appear in the Add Attribute window) are generally for polling information about collisions( to use in expressions ). A good way to try these out is to set particle RenderType to numeric and show the values after creating these attributes. Note that some of the collision attributes were not working for nParticles until Maya2014.

AngularVelocityPP is used by the nParticle rotation feature(computeRotation). It is the rotational velocity. You can set angularVelocityPP0 to provide a start rotation speed. You can also set or reference angularVelocityPP inside runtime expressions.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
lovemaya
MayaGuru
portfolio
MayaGuru
VFX-Artist
delhi, India

Maya particles to fields pp linking

Respected Sir,

I needs to know the technicalities behind the connection of maya per particle as a source of field.

Suppose if i have to assign the field lets sat turbulence to the per particle so that particle becomes the source of fields.

What Mel script i needs to perform to accomplish this task.

Since i can do it from selecting the particles and fields and make selected as a source field
but

Curiosity brings me to you and I needs to know the mel statements to do this.

Or any help is highly appreciable.

Thanks Sir Duncan

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

When you do any menu item it executes some mel. You can find out what it executes by enabling "History:Echo All Commands" in the script editor. In your case the command executed was
AttachSelectedAsSourceOfField

Which you can call, but in this case that is is a mel wrapper for the actual command. You can search for these mel calls in the maya scripts area. If you look at the file:
mayalocation/scripts/startup/defaultRunTimeCommands.mel

It defines the command:

Code:
runTimeCommand -default true -annotation _L10N(kAttachSelectedAsSourceFieldAnnot,"Select field, then select object to be its source") -category ("Fields") -command ("addDynamic") AttachSelectedAsSourceField;

So it actually calls "addDynamic". You can find an explanation of addDynamic in the help doc under technical doc:commands.

You could try and manually do all the connections instead of using the command, but you might miss something or a setting somewhere. You can use window:hypergraph:connections to examine what was set up by the command. If you are really stumped you could save ascii versions of the scene before and after the command, then run a utility like xdiff the two scenes.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
lovemaya
MayaGuru
portfolio
MayaGuru
VFX-Artist
delhi, India

Thanks a lot Sir Duncan for great knowledge sharing and time devotion for threads.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread