Renaming hair follicles creates problems!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Renaming hair follicles creates problems!

Hi, I have an issue after I renamed follicles. Here is the story.
I created some hair with dynamic follicles. Then I renamed the follicles and grouped them to a subgroup (this works but I am not sure if I am suppose to do this). At this point I can still trim/extend the hair with Paint Follicles tool. Now if I rename follicles I can't trim/extend the hairs with the Paint Follicles tool! I checked the connections in the Hypergraph and it all seems OK...

Another question here. When I create dynamic follicles I want to paint passive follicles to fill in the hair. Let's say I then want to remove passive follicles (e.g. if they are too dense or sth like that). How I am supposed to do this? I can delete passive follicles by selecting them in Outliner but this seems "dangerous" since I may unintentionally grab some dynamic follicles as well.

Thanks

12 December 2012
Unfortunately the follicle paint tool uses the follicle name, so changing the follicle names will affect their paintability.

There is no tool currently to filter the selection based on whether a follicle is active or not. You could potentially write a simple script that removes active follicles from the current selection.

Here is a little bit of mel you could drag onto the shelf to deselect dynamic follicles:

string $sl[] =`ls -sl`;
for( $s in $sl ){
string $f[] =`ls -dag -type follicle $s`;
if( size($f)>0 && getAttr( ($f[0])+".simulationMethod") == 2 )
select -d $s;
}

Also it should be OK to remove follicles by selecting and simply deleting them. The start and rest curves are parented under the follicle and get deleted with it. If you have outCurves, however they will hang around. You could simply delete them by hand. Or you could convert the follicle selection to current positions (hair:convert selection) do a delete, then restore the previous selection and delete the follicles.

Last edited by Duncan : 12 December 2012 at 09:09 PM.

12 December 2012
Wow, that one was a surprise. An answer from the King of dynamics.

That answered all of my questions of how take care of situations like this. Thanks!

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread