Ncloth - Component to Component constraint

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Question Ncloth - Component to Component constraint

I have a character that has a dress on, and I thought Ncloth would be the best option for it. But I need to constraint the breast area, though when I try and use the component to component constraint on some verts of the dress and body, they seem to make the connection between another vertex on the dress instead.

here are some pics to show you what I mean:

selected two vertexes.

then after constraint has been applied:

not sure why it's doing this.

does anyone have a solution to this problem?
or any suggestions on a different method of doing Ncloth dresses.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
firstly, I would suggest you clean your meshes, by that, I mean delete all unnecessary history such as (and especially) the deleteComponent nodes.
maya just stores the vert index on an nComponent node. and seems to get confused at times with such history...

make sure your body is an nRigid
select the vertices of the cloth and the body mesh (not verts) and make a pointToSurfaceConstraint. componentToComponent does not give you tangentStrength.. which you will probably want

.j

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks for your help, I'll try it out later today.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Also if you have anything that might change topology on the output cloth mesh (like a smooth node) then make sure to select verts on the input mesh to the cloth node(nMesh:display input), as opposed to the output cloth mesh.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Duncan, I know its just part of the process, but any chance you can automate that function? So no matter what you choose on output mesh it translates down to input mesh automatically?

Just a tiny pain in the arse

Cheers!

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 11 November 2012   #6
It is rather problematic to automate. If you did a smooth, then selected one of the faces on the smoothed mesh, how do we translate this back to the original simulating mesh( that has fewer faces )? One can't constraint vertices that don't exist in the simulation. We could try and figure out some kind of matching, but it would involve doing either looking at what the reverse of the construction history would be or doing some sort of spacial matching based on the relative distance to the surface, but even then it might not always do what a user expects( and would be quite difficult to code). In some cases constraining on the output mesh with added history can work because the vertices that match the positions of the old usually also share the same indices.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Hahah awesome! Cheers for that explanation!

Sounds like its just easier to do it the old, not-so-hard way

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread