Do people use MaYa to make particles for video games?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Do people use MaYa to make particles for video games?

I find that I'm having a very hard time looking up tutorials, or any info at all on FX for GAMES made in Maya. Almost everything I find is for UDK. I would rather learn to do these things in Maya, but is that unrealistic?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
You might be better of with 3dsmax. I haven't really heard of any companies using Maya.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Usually particle FX are something directly handled by the engine - the emitter, forces, shader assignment, lighting and rendering. There is a run-time performance cost for each aspect (e.g cpu, gpu, memory) so they have to be managed carefully. Often it has to work with constraints of the physics engine as well if there is anything dynamic.

The exception is when something is generated in a DCC package (Maya, Max) and then baked down/and or rendered. But its important that these elements are efficient as possible and are usually reserved for a scripted event.

UDK or Unity would be good places to learn the real-time craft.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thank you! Exactly the answer I needed.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Is it possible to import UDK particles into Unity? I find that Unity's Shuriken particle system isn't that great, but my buddy is making a game in Unity and I wanted to help him out.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread