explosions and flame effects in The Avengers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
explosions and flame effects in The Avengers

Looks like Weta did the pyro fx in The Avengers. Does anyone know if they used Maya fluids? Houdini? I recall hearing that Weta uses Maya for vfx.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/vfx...r-the-avengers/

Quite sure they use Maya, Houdini, Naiad and in house solvers...

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Thanks

The article isn't too specific on how Weta did the work. I'm eye balling houdini and was hoping they used Maya but they probably also have some in house solver like you were saying.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
http://www.krop.com/mathieuchardonnet/

click on Avangers and on the pictures... often Maya Fluids, quite impressive imho.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
wow!

I was really blown away with this (and the water effects) in the Avengers. Wow. Best part of a lame film. I can't get those tools to do that.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
You do realize its not just setup a fluid and render... there is a TON of work that goes into this... simming and resimming and tweaking, many layers rendered, lots of comp work done, many iterations, months spent making it look that good?

You can definitely get Maya Fluids to look that good.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by HowardM: You do realize its not just setup a fluid and render... there is a TON of work that goes into this... simming and resimming and tweaking, many layers rendered, lots of comp work done, many iterations, months spent making it look that good?

You can definitely get Maya Fluids to look that good.

Oh no doubt! But it is still very impressive.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Yep Mathieu uses predominantly Maya for fluids, his sims are massive often leaving his work overnight to sim. He also uses a lot of particles to help driv velocities. Weta also has their own inhouse nodal fluid tool using sparse voxel method but people arnt obliged to use it since it is brand new virtually. Yes, Naiad is the sole water tool.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
can you be more specific about use of particles

Thanks Aikiman. Can you go into greater detail about what you mean using particles to drive velocity?

Old 10 October 2012   #10
He emits a lot of particles into his fluid container and emits things like density, fuel, temp and also velocity. Its not a secret but theres never a explosion, sand fx, dust whatever you like that he doesnt use particles as the main driving force of his fluid.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Cool

alright. I'm off to experiment. Well sleep....then experiment!

Old 10 October 2012   #12
velocity with fluids

Originally Posted by Aikiman: He emits a lot of particles into his fluid container and emits things like density, fuel, temp and also velocity. Its not a secret but theres never a explosion, sand fx, dust whatever you like that he doesnt use particles as the main driving force of his fluid.

how do you emit velocity with fluids?

Old 10 October 2012   #13
There are various emission speed attributes (added in Maya2012) on the fluid emitter. As well if you use inherit velocity for a particle fluid emitter then the motion of the particles affects the velocity of the fluid. In some cases one can even use negative inherit motion, where each particle is then like a rocket with thrust coming out the back.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Thanks

Thanks yet again Duncan. That helps.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
I exhanged email about the fluids used at weta for the avengers with Mathieu Chardonnet, some of those flying fortress explosions and smoke was done by him . I was told some of those sims were around 300 million voxels ( container Like 500 x 500 x 1200 )rendering used 40GB ram and cached with a sparser caching format so it can be handled...

What I dont get is here at work with my 16gb i7 2600K single CPU I can hardly iterate at around 50 mil voxels how the hell these guys are making versions at those voxel numbers i have no idea.... GPU, Maximus, Tesla accelerated custom Weta solvers ... Most hardcore cont rez I can go is 400x400x400 but then it is impossible to iterate the sim. I guess even a dual socket sandy bridge xeons would have trouble with///

Somebody help me. Maybe since Duncan is the main guy of fluids, he can indeed illuminate us on how the big studios really do it.
vimeo.com/user7844693

Thread Closed share thread