nParticles stop functioning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
nParticles stop functioning

Hopefully this is not too stupid, or maybe it is, it'd be nice if there were a simple fix.

Been doing some various things with nParticles, using goals, fields, emitting fluids, etc.

What I have been running into is where nParticles just stops working..sometimes it will be fine until I save and reload a scene, sometimes it will just up and quit midway. This isn't a maya crash, everything else is functional, it just stops doing anything. Particles don't emit, nothing. I can't add new ones, even if I add a new set of nStuff it will just sit there, too. Sometimes it won't even let me delete the objects from the scene.

Has anyone run into this? Can't find any errors being shown for it in the script editor... I have some stuff connected like per-particle properties, and particle info..but this is all very basic learning stuff, I am in no way "pushing the envelope".

I have tried to get it to do it on purpose, but no luck, or lack of it. The only thing they all have in common is something connected to something else, which should be doable, I'd hope.

Am I hitting some random limit, missing some setting, or finding an incredibly specific bug? If I go through a fresh scene and recreate the same basic setup, it will seem to work for a while. I don't know enough about scene file structure to see if there is something specific that is poisoning it.

Anyway, if anyone has run into this or something similar, please let me know. I am on 2012 btw. Thanks.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
I had some similar stuff happening a while ago. Show all The nodes in The outliner and look for The nucleus node. Delete it and create a new one. That Did it for me.

Hope it helps you.

Old 08 August 2012   #3
also if you are using render layers and dont include some of the nParticle nodes, it tends to stop working as well. you shouldnt be hiding nodes taht are important for the solver because hidden nodes dont get evaluated by the dependency graph.

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread