Fluid Emitter Offsets

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2012   #16
Nice one Parv you've given me a couple of nice ideas, like emitting speed - very good at localizing force instead of trying to use just buoyancy or another field. , thanks.

Old 07 July 2012   #17
I'm happy you found it useful!
I've noticed that emitter speed has a much more rapid, instantaneous and much more visible effect on the fluid that a field would. Even with low values and especially if the Speed Method is set to Replace. So I like to use a combination of both emitter speed and maya fields.

Also I've have this habit of increasing the apparent amount of Density visible in the container using the Opacity Input Bias (shifting it to the right). I mean its not a bad idea but I tend to over do it, so what happens is that even if a good amount of density has dissipated it still looks as if it hasn't, but it does not behaves like there is a lot of density. For example it would almost stop rising and billowing near the end because now the buoyancy is not high and the damp is not low enough enough for the amount of Density actually present (which is quite low). In my explosion If you'll bring the Opacity Input Bias down to 0.100 or 0.150 you'll see what I mean.
I think I should emit more Density instead of faking it by the Opacity Input Bias. This technique works fine with fire but not so much with explosions if one is not careful.

Last edited by Parv : 07 July 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Old 07 July 2012   #18
Thanks for all of these examples Parv! I have learned so much more about fluids now. I actually started over my explosion and based it more off your system and it is getting much better results with the behavior.

A weird issue I am having right now though is that the incandescence lingers through out the entire sequence and for the most part stays with the yellow color at the beginning of the ramp. Other than that I think I am starting to get the hang of it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Explode.zip (18.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: zip Explode Maya file.zip (40.6 KB, 24 views)

Old 07 July 2012   #19
Hi Vincent..! I'm glad you found it useful.

The yellow incandescence lingers for long because the temperature is not dissipating enough.

The right side of the incandescence ramp is yellow and basically that would mean the more temperature there is the more yellow it will look and the less temperature the more red it will look. So, as the temperature starts to dissipate its going to inherit the appropriate corresponding colors from the ramp. So you need to increase the dissipation. You can also shift the incandescence input bias to left to aid with the color shift in the incandescence.

Also try and change your incandescence input to Fuel or Speed. This will go through all the colors of the ramp but still keep the low dissipation of the temperature that you have because fuel and speed is changing much more than the temperature.

I noticed that your temperature pressure is keyed from frame 1 to 3. Since emission stars much later, you should change those keyed frames from 40 -43 . Then you'll find that a pressure of 50 is just way too much so, you'll have to bring it down to 1 then adjust it from there. There are some more parameters that are keyed from frame 1 you may wanna change those as well.

Also lower the Top Fuel Emitter a bit and scale it up slightly and increase the along axis to 15 or so. You'll see more density will rise up.

I would also advise you to change your X and Z boundaries to None because without it, its like explosion happening in a confined space which could effect the behavior of the explosion. And also change the Start Frame to 39.

I've made a few tweaks to the explosion for you in the attachement.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Explode_02.zip (35.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Parv : 07 July 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #20
Thanks a lot Parv! I had to tweak things like scale in order to match better the behavior I was aiming at. Here is the latest render test of the explosion for you to look at for any thoughts.

Right now, I'm tweaking with the incandescence ramp to get the timing to feel just right with the blast and fire.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9k4lzv

Last edited by Venator11387 : 07 July 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Old 07 July 2012   #21
Hi,
I clicked on the sendspace link but it says "URL is not valid and can't be loaded".

Old 07 July 2012   #22
Weird. Here try this one:

Link

Old 07 July 2012   #23
Lookin' great!

Looks like you're using texturing as well. Try animating the texture time because you can spot the static texture being used in the explosion.

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Will have a nosey at these files tomo... hopefully they can help me fire some stuff out i need

Old 11 November 2012   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread