instances rotation alignment to the ground

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
$r? hmm i dont remember anymore lol. probably some left over variable from previous tests.

i dont have to declare .frotPP because it is an actual attribute on the particle node.
this attribute defaults to <<0,0,0>> upon particle creation. Our conditional statement ensures that it is set only once, as soon as the angular velocity threshold is met.

The snap happens because as soon as we hit our threshold, there is a linstep operation that blends between the final known rotation (.frotPP) and some arbitrary new vector (in this case 0).

a threshold rotation magnitude of 3 means that the sum of HPB vectors is 3 degrees before linstep takes over. If you increase the threshold, there will be a longer period for the linstep, which will slow down the "snap".

to find out the final rotation vector, you will have to use 'polyInfo' command and use that to feed the linstep range (probably after some kind of vector transformation).

I have a pretty busy schedule right now, so im not sure how soon I can crack into that scene. But its a fun little excersize so I promise to try to get to it sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by HowardM: In regards to the snap, is this because you haven't declared ParticleShape1.frotPP?
And what was $r for?

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by stooch : 02 February 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Cheers!

Could use it asap if you do find the time, but no worries

Strangely I tossed the expression into BEFORE dynamics and it seemed to work, where I couldn't get it to work the way you have it?

Will have to mess with it tomorrow. Am getting mad vibrations when trying to get debris rotating and then coming to a stop with your mel. Its like the Rotation Friction is fighting it.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 02 February 2013   #18
hmmm. if you can send me an example of what you have, it would be quicker for me to turn it around for you.

Old 02 February 2013   #19
Cheers mate, but afraid its for a Film and cant.

No stress... if and when you get some time.

Cheers!

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 02 February 2013   #20
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread