reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #46
mihai112
Maya Generalist

portfolio
Mihai
3dW
Bucharest, Romania

I completely agree and i wonder what would of happened if Alias was never bought by Autodesk , would it still be a complete package today?
The bad part about using plugins is the compatibility between them for example i tried to test Shave and Haircut with Vray and it's very slow and Vray has a recent adition called Vray Hair Mtl 3 but the problem is that is only works with Maya Hair and not Shave. Now getting back on topic regarding Fume what render will it be compatible with, i guess mental ray since it' included in maya but what about other renderers? How it is in the max version?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #47
grucho
Veteran
portfolio
filippo robino
torino, Italy

in max fume is compatible with scanline, funalrender, mental and vray

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #48
staticVex
portfolio
bp
Effects Animator
Disney Animation
Los Angeles, USA

Great, another thing to bloat maya, yay! I hope they just get rid of maya fluids then. Might piss off a ton of users but oh well, that's AD

I'll just be over here, sipping the sidefx cool-aid. Enjoying my sparse volume formats, unlimited mantra tokens (which are actually used in big productions...), bullet, flip, pipeline-in-box software that gives users new builds every day.

Oh and considering Houdini used to be $15k+, then 7.5k, and now 4.5k, at least their software is actually getting cheaper, because ya know, more people are using it. I guess if you want to subtract all those wonderful plugins you use off the price then it would probably be cheaper than maya, and infinitely more useful.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #49
sacslacker
Drinker of much beer
portfolio
Brian S.
Rancho Murieta, USA

What keeps me away from Houdini is the 3k upgrade/maintenance price =(

That's just too expensive for me sorry to say.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #50
Irakli
Frequenter

portfolio
Irakli Kublashvili
3D Generalist
Cucarakaca Films
Barcelona, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticVex
Great, another thing to bloat maya, yay! I hope they just get rid of maya fluids then.

Maya fluids is very pawerfull tool, though it is old There are meny cool effects done with it.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #51
grucho
Veteran
portfolio
filippo robino
torino, Italy

sure, but it's slow and often it's just a matter of luck to get good results.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #52
staticVex
portfolio
bp
Effects Animator
Disney Animation
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacslacker
What keeps me away from Houdini is the 3k upgrade/maintenance price =(

That's just too expensive for me sorry to say.

If you do the AUP (annual upgrade plan) it's only $995 a year. Considering they release a new version every year, I'd say it's a great deal. In addition, you get awesome support. I've emailed their support staff plenty of times with questions, suggestions, etc. They're very responsive and polite. A few times I've logged bugs, and a week later they would be fixed.

I understand that relative to other software its slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for, a production proven piece of software that is used almost everywhere.

I'd say, give the apprentice hd version (or the free one) a spin if you're not convinced. Watch some of their tutorials and I think you would come to realize it's worth every penny.

Edit: whoops, I guess it is $2495 a year for Houdini FX. Yowza, that is pretty harsh

Last edited by staticVex : 03-09-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #53
dantea
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticVex
Edit: whoops, I guess it is $2495 a year for Houdini FX. Yowza, that is pretty harsh

I'm not a Maya user but I went to check out Maya's upgrade price and it seems to be $2,575.00 USD?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #54
Cheesestraws
o.o

portfolio
John Cocks
Curitiba, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantea
I'm not a Maya user but I went to check out Maya's upgrade price and it seems to be $2,575.00 USD?

The Houdini annual upgrade plan is more similar to the Maya subscription, which is ~$595 or ~$895 if you want "Advanced Support".

Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #55
azshall
...But ours go to eleven.

portfolio
Seth Hall
Visual Effects Artist
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via ICQ to azshall Send a message via AIM to azshall Send a message via MSN to azshall Send a message via Yahoo to azshall
So .. I'm curious .. is fumeFX for Maya ever going to be released? :\ Anyone have any ideas?

my highend3D scripts
my photography

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #56
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by grucho
sure, but it's slow and often it's just a matter of luck to get good results.

I disagree, its less often a matter of luck you get good results, its more a matter of hard work and ability.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #57
grucho
Veteran
portfolio
filippo robino
torino, Italy

true, but if you compare the productivity of fume fx vs maya fluid get always the second place (with task such explosions, fire and smoke). But it's true that the capabilities of maya fluid are far more then fumefx.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #58
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by grucho
true, but if you compare the productivity of fume fx vs maya fluid get always the second place (with task such explosions, fire and smoke). But it's true that the capabilities of maya fluid are far more then fumefx.

Are you talking about a studio you work in? Because where Ive been, FumeFX never got a look in over Maya in any fluid effects - not even dust - I believe we used sprites for dust.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #59
grucho
Veteran
portfolio
filippo robino
torino, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiman
Are you talking about a studio you work in? Because where Ive been, FumeFX never got a look in over Maya in any fluid effects - not even dust - I believe we used sprites for dust.

currently i'm working with them. I don't want to transform this tread in some kind of war between fume and fluids. My only point is that probably with fluids you have more control over them, but they are really hard to tune and you spend days to achieve what in fumefx you can easily do in few hours, and fumefx is far more stable.

For sure the final look and the overall quality of maya fluid are superior (with the blackbody and soup upres of course).

Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #60
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

I guess it depends on your expertise, where days just become hours for some people. Granted I haven't used FumeFX and I really like the look of what comes out of it but I just wanted to clarify that using Maya fluids is different for everyone.

reply share thread