reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #61
DynamicBoy
Frequenter

portfolio
carlos perez garcia
thinkinetic
madrid, ES

" H " has taken over all Effects Jobs, really? when and where?

As far as I concern most of large studios are using Maya with custom versions of Bullet for dynamics effects or use commercial plugins like Pulldownit or Rayfire for destruction, also many users of Houdini actually uses Realflow for fluids becouse it is currently much more powerfull and flexible than the limited fluids in H.

Houdini has a good node-based UI for procedural tasks, it is dificult to learn but powerfull, but aside this, regarding dynamic solvers and render there are much better solutions outhere, beliaveme, indeed SideFx have integrated Bullet free solver in the latest version 12 of Houdini, just becouse the native rigid bodies in H are as slow computing as Maya built-in rbds and I suppose they were loosing sales becuose of this.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #62
-Sai-
Attribute transfer SOP

Sai
FX TD
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy
" H " has taken over all Effects Jobs, really? when and where?

As far as I concern most of large studios are using Maya with custom versions of Bullet for dynamics effects or use commercial plugins like Pulldownit or Rayfire for destruction, also many users of Houdini actually uses Realflow for fluids becouse it is currently much more powerfull and flexible than the limited fluids in H.

Houdini has a good node-based UI for procedural tasks, it is dificult to learn but powerfull, but aside this, regarding dynamic solvers and render there are much better solutions outhere, beliaveme, indeed SideFx have integrated Bullet free solver in the latest version 12 of Houdini, just becouse the native rigid bodies in H are as slow computing as Maya built-in rbds and I suppose they were loosing sales becuose of this.

If you are not counting R&H,DD,Pixar,Dreamworks,Blue Sky,Cinesite,Double Negative,Rising Sun,Image Engine and a whole bunch of studios that I can't remember, sure..and those are the name that I can confirm through my colleague.
I don't want to start a software X is better than Y but houdini has been under recognized for some many years so it deserves it piece of cake.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #63
DynamicBoy
Frequenter

portfolio
carlos perez garcia
thinkinetic
madrid, ES

from your list:

Digital Domain-uses "Drop" a custom version of Bullet for destruction.
Pixar - Uses PhysBAM by Standford unversity and also H.
Blue Sky- uses Realflow for fluids and rbds
Cinesite- Uses Maya & Pulldownit plugin for destruction
DNEG- uses "Dynamite", custom version of ODE in Maya and also Maya for Fluids & particles, aside uses "Bang" in H, custom version of Bullet for rbds.

all this info can be verified in public articles.

so as you see H inst the "only one", in my opinion Maya particles adding destruction plugins is a very powerfull solution for VFX and much cheaper than H.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #64
hkspowers
Damn Pebl

portfolio
James Little
FX TD
A52
Culver City, USA

While it's true that Houdini's native ODE engine might not be used many places, their particle system is used at most of the places you listed.

DD uses Houdini as their base package for FX, Storm their custom particle driven voxel based software for their volumetrics plugs into it.

I know Pixar uses Houdini for some of their FX pipeline, not sure the extent but I have a colleague there and he is using Houdini.

Bluesky uses Houdini for their FX pipeline as well, I know they are even using the slow H-11 pyro solver for some things. (Again a colleague working there) but not sure on the extent.

Cinesite and Dneg - Both are heavy hitting Houdini studios.

To add to the list,
Dreamworks - Houdini
Mirada - Houdini
Method - Houdini
ILM - Houdini + Proprietary software.

Here at Imageworks we use exclusively Houdini for FX, and some proprietary node suites in Houdini for the volumetrics.

As has been mentioned before most large studios especially the film divisions will use Houdini in their FX pipeline. It doesn't mean that's the only software they use, and most of the time it's not. They will either have custom software written, or use other software that happens to do the job better for that task. In the end they just want the shot done, if it requires another tool, they are going to use it.

To the op, I would suggest you learn one software first, and learn it well. If you spread yourself too thin you will never get to where you want to be. Just focus on one and after you get to the point of mastery, then learning the other one will still be difficult, but nowhere near as difficult as learning from scratch. You will already have the concepts and ideas of an FX workflow in your head, and you will have ideas on what should be accomplished, instead of just wandering with no purpose.

Hope this helps

Last edited by hkspowers : 02-24-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #65
mandark1011
Expert

portfolio
Michael Lemon
Fx Artist
Canada

It is also true that most of the places you mentioned fill the rest of their respective pipeline with Maya. So I wonder if Maya gained some ground in the FX area if some would switch back.

For me I think i will learn Houdini however the crutch for me has always been the technology side of things, I am confidant in my artistic skills, but not so much in my computer skills. I probably know way less then I should to be an FX artist at this level but manage to shoehorn solutions enough times to keep employed.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #66
ajspurs
portfolio
Alex
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebKaine
Hi Alex, i will just give you my pov and of course many person would say the exact opposite so ... take it with a grain of salt

I think that the two most important point you must focus on are :
- Train you eye on how to create beautiful FX, often the answer at this question is not behind any complex tool or fancy plugin , its by using and layering many simple element that you can create in any package. The key in beauty in FX is most of the time behind your compositing package. You will quickly discover that 10 average pass , nicely composited can make great FX. So learn how to achieve what you need by dividing your pb in simple element. and train your eyes to know what you need to achieve your goal and How to get it.

- Learn how to be a good coder, softwares changes programming logic that is behind every software, never change. You must learn how to code your tools to enhance your workflow and efficiency.

So the final question is wich one :
- the easy way , with very short learning curve is MAX, you will have a perfect fluid solver, a perfect Particle render, and many great tool. i will not go that way

- The hardest would be houdini. behind houdini is very low level logic that you will get when you will be good at coding. Without coding logic the learning curve will be very long and you risk to be lost in all this complexity ! the big risk is that you fall in the Technical Fanboyism and you forget the ouput , How to make nice image ... Not to mention that houdini don't need many coding as far as you code with nodes visually

- So its pretty strange but maya is for me the best package to start in FX , cause you will need to learn how to code very quickly, without MEL or PYTHON in maya you do nothing. but maya except from is atrocious particle rendering is still a very alroad package. Maya Fluids is very good, nCloth excellent, nDynamics good but Buggy , but in maya you will learn in the painfull but rewarding way.

when you will have good demo, good coding knowledge and you know what pass you need to build your FX , start Houdini , cause it will offer you a deeper level of knowledge , but again at a higher price .... complexity ....

Cheers and GLuck !

Thanks! Good advice and I've intended to learn coding with Maya but I just want to get the knowledge of creating multiple effects (e.g. explosions, fire, smoke) to a decent level stuck into my head and then move on from them. I'm glad you suggest to start with Maya though because Houdini is kinda daunting at times when starting out to learn it but I can't wait to do so after I enhance my knowledge of Maya to a good degree.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #67
Issac
portfolio
Issac Dhan
Bangalore, India

Why am I so late here?

Hold Maya in your Left side and Grab Houdini from your Right hand.
You got both. Use wisely.
Friends.
As we all are artist and some are more artistic and less technical and others are more technical and less artistic . That's why they chose different field like lighting, modeling etc. Some are really fast to learn new software interface and some take a lot of time.
But why?
Because of our ability. But one who is fast to become familiar with new interface or logic may not have the eye for beauty. And the one who knows the look and feel may not even understand the ability to unlock the power of the (in hand)software.

I taught many students, some learned many softwares (from different faculties) and can show you which setting is were, but if you will see there output ........ Yuck. Some know 50% tool in photoshop but there images are Great. But FX dept. is different.
We need both. Technical and Artistic skills (dosn't mean not required in other fields). Why am I telling you all things which you already know?

As I have seen we learn tools, this will do this, that will do that. I strongly belive those who are coming to CG should do some degree in the field of Computer science or at least read there books. (At least those who are thinking to make carrier in Rendering and FX).

Otherwise you will waste your time to make a sand effect in Maya particle and try to render it in Maya hardware render and your TL will shout "It's not looking like sand". or they will say "Why this image is not blending with BG?"
(Boss you are team leader you tell, don't just shout). So Use 3Delight or any other Renderman based Render. Don't ask How but ask Why?

As we know All rendering software work on limited principle like Monty Carlo, scanline, raytrace etc. . .Just like Dynamic's RBS, Bullet, PhyX,PhyBam, FEA Navier-stokes etc ...

know the internal structure of Copmuter graphics. Read Programming, Digital Electronic, Television. Then you will never try to attempt or expect something which is beyond the capabilities of a software. Also they give enough details about there tools.

A person who spend so much time in a software to master it, what will he do?
Learn. But it's tough. Yes because your mind is of different type. Remember my students example? So do two things
1. Try to understand internal things. Ask different questions like- NOT only ask "What it will do?" but ask Why it will do? Find new Q&A

2. Because new user is struggling, it can be because of interface. (Believe me it is really tough for many people ). So prepare mind charts on papers or graphs or Block diagrams. Search internet there are plenty of method to learn, how to memorize. As we are artist Diagrams will help a lot.
Through books get an idea that some new things exist under the hood. For example: If you know programming you may not be able to write a script but you can read and understand how it is working. How? Because you have gone through it sometime.Don't just rely on video tutorials,they are here to make money.

Basic is clear Jump without fear.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
hybrid_art_prog
Randy
VFX
many_places...
London, United Kingdom

Hi Vik

Hi Vik,

Turned down by one employer ? reckon you have not been in the industry for long ,
There have been instances , where extremely talented people have been turned down in the past, so dont take it personaly

it depends on various factors, the company situation (job wise), your situation (if you need a visa to work ...) and in some cases your attitude in your email

Please read about the post , about a guy who was given 2-megapixel Buzz Lightyear camera and three cheapo flash units, and he was asked to take pro pictures , and he did !!!

the story ...
its not the software, its how well you use a software (basics for all the cg software are the same) ..Maya , Houdini, Max, Ice.. all have thier strengths and weakness,

For now Houdini is at its best Fx wise, and there was Maya not long ago and there was Max before that and so was 3dstudio Dos(older version of Max) and Power Animator (older version of Maya) , XSI , Prisms (older version of Houdini) , to name a few and there are many out there which does "A" job !

Behind the scene, Autodesk..SideFx..all share ideas, its more commercial than anything else on why a certain feature is available or not in "A" software..

and hey if we were stuck with one , we would be using
gas-filled counting tubes used in the early days of computing rather than the transistors of modern electronics

-HYBRID
JUST MY THOUGHT

Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #69
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Send a message via AIM to stooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issac
I taught many students.

hey I noticed that you keep using the word "there" instead of "their". This is incorrect. Not being snarky or anything, so hopefully you don't take it the wrong way and get upset at the pointer.

Last edited by stooch : 01-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #70
viki164
Fluid Punk

portfolio
Vikas Chandel
FX TD
Montreal, Canada

Send a message via AIM to viki164 Send a message via Yahoo to viki164
well what to say.. Just wanna thank all of you for your Valuable feedback. I aint down with one recruiter..in fact I think I am more thankful to the recruiter who made me aware of how important was to be ahead with not only skills but also with the tools which have become industry's standards. anyway I already started learning houdini from past few months & its been exciting & fun so far. but nevertheless the confidence of standing still with the competition around comes from the profound knowledge of Maya.
so I get to choose what's best way to achieve any particular effect with more options as my learning grows instead of being limited with one tool.

Thanks once again to all !
Best,
- Vik

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #71
DynamicBoy
Frequenter

portfolio
carlos perez garcia
thinkinetic
madrid, ES

Yes, your animation skills are a key point, but not really the tool you are used to, almost all large studios are using their own dynamics solvers, some of them integrated with Maya, some others with H, some others with XSi, so really it depends in which studio are you going to work and what they want you to do there, I think the most important thing is having a good reel to show when you are in the recruiting process, no matter which platform you use if your reel is pretty good, they will teach you new tools anyway,

Maya is for sure and industry's standard and in mi opinion combining maya dynamics with destruction plugins you can get high-quality Visual effects much easier and faster than with H

Last edited by DynamicBoy : 01-15-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #72
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Shameless plug ^^^^

Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #73
DynamicBoy
Frequenter

portfolio
carlos perez garcia
thinkinetic
madrid, ES

excuse me Aikiman, why you say that?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #74
Aikiman
Pixel Collisions

portfolio
Jeremy Raven
Wellington, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicBoy
excuse me Aikiman, why you say that?

Just seems a little off-topic to showcase ones own work/plugin, dont you have a thread already for that?
You're stating you can do destruction work faster and easier in Maya with Pulldownit then Houdini but instead of including benchmarks for speed etc, you just include a final render of your effect.
Maybe I just got it wrong

Last edited by Aikiman : 01-15-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #75
stooch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Dimitri Loginowski
VFX Artist + Designer
Handsome, LLC
Beverly Hills, USA

Send a message via AIM to stooch
lol he does that all the time. just ignore it

reply share thread