Any rigid body system have goals?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2012   #1
Any rigid body system have goals?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to take 3000 objects piled up into a shape, explode them into a swirling vortex and then let them all settle backing into another shape. My first thought was bullet physics and explode both models then bake and reverse the direction of the second animation to make it form the shape. This would work, but the cross over between aniamtions isn't easy to control with this many objects.
I was hoping someone has a better idea or knew of a rigid body system that has goals?

Thanks,

Richard

Old 02 February 2012   #2
can it be objects instanced to particles?

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

*please read- cyanbsl.blogspot.com/*

Old 02 February 2012   #3
Hello Howard, as a last resort I could probably get away with that on this one, but these objects are not all the same size and shape so using particles means the collision wouldn't be as good as rigid bodys. Then again with 3000, that might not be a option anyway.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 02 February 2012   #4
I don't know if this will produce the visual result that your might be looking for but you might try filling those 3000 objects inside a passive rigid body which will cause them to take its shape and then disabling that passive rigid body, exploding the active rigid bodies with some field and then having them fill up another passive rigid body.

But then you may want those 3000 objects to stick only to the surface of the object and not filling up. You can look into using an object as a source of a newton field which would attract them towards the object (which is a passive body). Because of the attractive force they will stick to the surface (sort of a goal, I guess..)

Old 02 February 2012   #5
I wonder if you could achieve this with nCloth, using nConstraints or attract to matching mesh?

Old 02 February 2012   #6
Thats actually a good idea, but if he wants volume he would need to setup several shells for thickness... guess not that bad considering the middle of the volume may be obscured by all the objects and he could fake an interior shadowy object inside...

May also be tough to get very fine and detailed object, but anythings possible

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Old 02 February 2012   #7
Hey Gnimmel, I need more info to help you, how is the final grouping of objects:

- A well-defined 3D shape, like a statue

- Objects stacks in an specific shape but chaotically, like a pile reminding star-shape for example.

- Objects simply pile up again in any shape but bounded to a region.

- other

which of them?

Old 02 February 2012   #8
Thanks for all the ideas so far. This one is a tricky one because it has a defined start and end position for all the dynamic objects, hence the original thought of a goal system.

DynamicBoy; I basically have 2 maya files with 2 models made up of the same components. I need to make all the objects in the first model fly around in a vortex type shape and then reform into the second models position. This means I can't fill up collision objects because they have a pre-defined end point.

I think I might have to script something instead of using rigid bodies and hope no one notices parts could fly through each other, but because there are so many the camera is pulled back a bit.

I've also been trying to get a camera cut in the shot, which would solve all my problems as I can simply explode the second model and then play the aniamtion backwards and hide the switch with a camera cut.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 02 February 2012   #9
:delete please: not sure what happened...

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Last edited by HowardM : 02 February 2012 at 10:27 AM.

Old 02 February 2012   #10
Very quick little test - http://vimeo.com/36382983

Shows potential, but may be tough to get complex shapes or sim many objects without alot of work depending on your ncloth skills.

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Old 02 February 2012   #11

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Old 02 February 2012   #12

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Last edited by HowardM : 02 February 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Old 02 February 2012   #13

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Old 02 February 2012   #14
:delete please:

Reel - 3DInk.com
Filmography -IMDB
R&D - VIMEO

Last edited by HowardM : 02 February 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Old 02 February 2012   #15
Hello HowardM,

Thats a nice idea which I'll have to play with at some point. Unfortunately it wont work for my shot because I have too many objects that need to pile up into the exact position.

I've decided on this shot to go brute force and keyframe the ending. I've wrote a few scripts to help position multiple objects so I can tweak the aniamtion, so I'll use dynamics until the end and just copy in the end position to get a straight line, then tweak the paths and hopfully make it look good enough.

I guess my original question has been answered, there isn't a rigid body system with goals :(

Thanks for all the help,

Richard

Thread Closed share thread