Lightwave Skeleton File for Motion Builder Users

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2003   #61
Hey, 2 good ideas on the finger bones thing!

When I put the viewer in X-Ray mode, it was REALLY easy to select the fk nodes when zoomed in.
Then after you got them all selected, you go to the GROUP PANELS!!!!
Click new group with the finger fk selected and bingo, new group. Now just click on that baby and you pick your fingers again whenever you want! Just like selection sets in LW, but imho, more accesible.

Then, and this is the REALLY cool part, you can make a new layer and keyframe all your finger animations on that "finger animations" layer!

One thing I discovered, which didn't seem obvious to me at first, is when you're on a new layer, if you "zero" out the keyframe values, it goes to whatever value it had on the previous layer.
The layers are additive - so you can play all day and always go back to the animation you had before.

The bones in the ears, I don't know about that part yet. Wait...actually watch the 3dBuzz VTM with the alien and they show how to set up an IK constraint on bones in his antenna - very similar to your ears I bet. I think you need at least 3 bones though...

Last edited by Cman : 06 June 2003 at 05:21 PM.

Old 06 June 2003   #62
has anyone found out if constraints you set up in MB will transfer to LW without a problem?

these would be constraints on bones created in LW and opened in MB?

any ideas?

Old 06 June 2003   #63
CMan: I heard that MB5 is going to have finger controls... looking forward to seeing that.

Policarpo: What exactly do you mean? Set up a character in LW, export to MB, add constraints to bones in MB (like IK, or relations, etc.), then go back to LW? Yes this works. You just have to plot your animation before meging back to LW.
VFX Journal

Old 06 June 2003   #64
Yeah...that's what I meant...so you could set up tails, and all sorts of crazy appendages and get it back and animated into LW.

Old 06 June 2003   #65
Thumbs down Yep!

There's a few examples of what you can do in the last 3dbuzz VTM (constraints; jiggling antennas derived from the character's motion, wavy tails, etc.)

However, I don't hink you could do it to skeletons that are part of the control rig.
VFX Journal

Old 06 June 2003   #66
right...i've seen those particular videos...but haven't tried it out with LW yet.

many thanks.

Old 06 June 2003   #67
Originally posted by policarpo
right...i've seen those particular videos...but haven't tried it out with LW yet.

many thanks.

I think so.
for my little 10SecClub animation I did simple parenting of a pen and notepad to the hands of a character.
One thing, I made a scene with the character and the objects together, then exported that scene as fbx.
When I merged anim back in LW the baked motions of the pen and notepad worked perfect.

There is some downsides to parenting in MB though. Once you parent, all motion on the child is overridden by the parents motion.
So, in LW you can parent one box to another, then animate the child, you cannot do that in MB - at least not that I've been able to do yet.

Old 06 June 2003   #68
Okay, so what I was able to do to animate a parented object in my 2 box scenario.
I added a null. Made box 2 a direct descendant of the null. Parented the null to box 1 with a constraint.
So box 2 operated as a LW normal parent child relation - at least in my test.

Here's the fbx file that I made the null-parenting thing.

Last edited by Cman : 06 June 2003 at 06:58 AM.

Old 06 June 2003   #69
parent child keyframing

Yeah, CMan, that is a good workaround. In other tutorials (like Maya for instance) this is called using a "freedom node".

parent

freedom node - child

The freedom node is point or orient constrained to the parent, so that the child does what the parent does, but you can also move the child around too.

However, you shouldn't have to do this if you are hard parenting in MB (i.e. without using constraints). The overriding motion only happens with constraints.
VFX Journal

Old 06 June 2003   #70
Is it possible to plot the animation of an object who's motion is manipulated by constraints?

As in that sample scene I posted above, how can I plot all the motion in the top box to the box - some is inhereted from it's parent...

Old 06 June 2003   #71
Originally posted by policarpo
has anyone found out if constraints you set up in MB will transfer to LW without a problem?

these would be constraints on bones created in LW and opened in MB?

any ideas?

The animation in thread I started here uses IK contstraints set in MB to control the models antenna and eyes. I was able to plot the animation and get it back into LW. I tried setting up an IK chain in LW before exporting to MB and no go. Apparently the FBX plugin does not support the transfer of constraints. If you think about it, it makes sense, as MB has constraints for which there is no corollary in LW.

On another note I've taken Cmans discovery and used it to parent my antenna IK control nulls to the head bone of my model. Now anywhere I move the head the nulls follow and I can also translate and key the nulls to move the antenna around. This is great. Just got to do a test to see how it comes back into LW.

Cheers,

-ub52

Old 06 June 2003   #72
Thanks Cman for the tips. Pretty useful! I have found out the way to enlarge the control sphere size through the properties tab, now picking them is a breeze in viewer. Got to check out the VTM to find out more.

Originally posted by Cman
Hey, 2 good ideas on the finger bones thing!

When I put the viewer in X-Ray mode, it was REALLY easy to select the fk nodes when zoomed in.
Then after you got them all selected, you go to the GROUP PANELS!!!!
Click new group with the finger fk selected and bingo, new group. Now just click on that baby and you pick your fingers again whenever you want! Just like selection sets in LW, but imho, more accesible.

Then, and this is the REALLY cool part, you can make a new layer and keyframe all your finger animations on that "finger animations" layer!

One thing I discovered, which didn't seem obvious to me at first, is when you're on a new layer, if you "zero" out the keyframe values, it goes to whatever value it had on the previous layer.
The layers are additive - so you can play all day and always go back to the animation you had before.

The bones in the ears, I don't know about that part yet. Wait...actually watch the 3dBuzz VTM with the alien and they show how to set up an IK constraint on bones in his antenna - very similar to your ears I bet. I think you need at least 3 bones though...

Old 06 June 2003   #73
Hey Cman, I was able to get things back into LW by selecting the top level scene. Then right click and click Select Branches. Once everything is selected in the Animation Menu select Plot All Properties. After plotting is complete don't deselect, but go to File->Save Selection and save the FBX to a new file. Merging this file back into LW brought the animation in from using your technique above. Hope my explanation wasn't to confusing.

-ub52

Old 06 June 2003   #74
Yeah CMan

(Do I hear an echo... heh heh...)

All you have to do is click on the Scene root, then right click and "select branch".

Then plot your animation.

While everything is still selected, go to File>Save Selection and save to a new fbx. Leave all the save defaults checked.

Then merge or import back to Lightwave.

I just tried an import (since I didn't have the cube lwos) and it works just fine...
VFX Journal

Last edited by LFGabel : 06 June 2003 at 09:02 AM.

Old 06 June 2003   #75
Talking

So let me see if I get this straight...

All I have to do is click on the Scene root, then right click and "select branch".

Then plot my animation.
Then, while everything is still selected, go to File>Save Selection, leave all the save defaults checked, and save to a new fbx.

Then merge or import back to Lightwave and it should work?

(echo...)

Okay. I think my problem I had with my character's hat is it came from a separate scene file, but it's motions were dependant on the character, so I cannot select the scene root because they're in two different scenes.

Anyway, good to know for next time.

reply share thread