CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Miscellaneous > Autodesk MotionBuilder
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-10-2003, 11:27 PM   #31
roguenroll
concept / matte

Florida,
USA

Hey dave , I sent you an email, I think its bounced back twice now. I'm working on a non-human variation of your rig, for the MB/LW people. would you take a look before release to make sure its solid, just need to finish hands, feet, but MB is characterizing OK.

maybe we can start a little collection.

Rogue

Old 06-11-2003, 04:34 AM   #32
3DDave
Lord of the posts

David Spamer
Engineer, Animator, Artist, Teacher
Pixel Dimensions
Granite Bay, USA

Your welcome to do so!

I have found that creating weight maps are really easy and quick so I have not gone that route in Lightwave unlike Messiah Studio that requires you to use holder bones.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shade01
Thanks for the rig by the way, it's great!

Have you thought about turning that rig into an unweighted version by adding holder bones to it?

Old 06-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #33
Lasercade
Frequenter

Hi,
Thanks for RevE.
I have an very cartoony (big-headed, stumpy legged) character that I'm trying to use in motion builder. I've been trying to use weight maps, but I can't seem to get any to register in motion builder. Just to test, I made only 5 weight maps (head, body, r_arm, l_arm, r_leg, l_leg) set to 100% and had each bone set to "use only weight maps". This didn't seem to do anything differently than when I had no weight maps assigned to the bones.

I've noticed by looking in the skelegon tree of RevE that you have the names of the weight maps named differently than the bones and I'm wondering if you got these weight maps to work successfully.

using motionbuilder 4.03 and lightwave 7.5c on OSX.2.6

thanks,

mm

Old 06-11-2003, 01:15 PM   #34
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Illustrator, Comic book artist, Storyteller
Italy

ok for the not-prebended bones.

i'm happy thet MB does a great job for me!!

i'll test the rig with no pre bended and bended too.

do i have to apply some weights and if so, have u some tips for me? i found some difficulties with weights when they overlap. also i had to remove them form pelis zone in my latest test because the deformation was not good, and i had no experience to fix that problem.

thx in advance.

Old 06-11-2003, 01:20 PM   #35
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Italy

Ops wanted to write : i had to remove the weight from pelvis zone

Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #36
3DDave
Lord of the posts

David Spamer
Pixel Dimensions
Granite Bay, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Lasercade
Hi,
Thanks for RevE.
I have an very cartoony (big-headed, stumpy legged) character that I'm trying to use in motion builder. I've been trying to use weight maps, but I can't seem to get any to register in motion builder. Just to test, I made only 5 weight maps (head, body, r_arm, l_arm, r_leg, l_leg) set to 100% and had each bone set to "use only weight maps". This didn't seem to do anything differently than when I had no weight maps assigned to the bones.

I've noticed by looking in the skelegon tree of RevE that you have the names of the weight maps named differently than the bones and I'm wondering if you got these weight maps to work successfully.

using motionbuilder 4.03 and lightwave 7.5c on OSX.2.6

thanks,

mm

Don't use the "weight map only" setting until you exported the character to Motion Builder. MB does odd things with weight map only for bones that need to be used in the IK rig.

The weight maps are set in Layout before exporting to MB, since some maps are set to multiple bones. The naming is just for a basic character. If more detailed maps are needed then just add them and re-assign.

It's really cool to see a lot of people making use of this rig.

The Todd Grimes Lightwave set has a great DVD on characters that includes setting up weightmaps. Go to desktop images web site.

Last edited by 3DDave : 06-11-2003 at 04:04 PM.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:53 PM   #37
Shade01
Extreme Pontificator

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rashad Redic
Senior Developer
Improbable
United Kingdom

Hey dave,

I think I noticed a problem with the rig. Your rig contained in the Lightwave scene file seems to function fine, like you would expect it to. The skelegon rig however, when converted to bones, seems to break at several points in the chain, such as the arm being disconnected from the spine. I don't know why this is because all the points in modeler seem to be welded correctly.

Also, I haven't been able to characterize either rig. I noticed couple other people are having that same problem with the rig. I'm too new to MB to offer any troubleshooting help though.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #38
3DDave
Lord of the posts

David Spamer
Pixel Dimensions
Granite Bay, USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Shade01
Hey dave,

I think I noticed a problem with the rig. Your rig contained in the Lightwave scene file seems to function fine, like you would expect it to. The skelegon rig however, when converted to bones, seems to break at several points in the chain, such as the arm being disconnected from the spine. I don't know why this is because all the points in modeler seem to be welded correctly.

Also, I haven't been able to characterize either rig. I noticed couple other people are having that same problem with the rig. I'm too new to MB to offer any troubleshooting help though.

It could be that when the Skelegons are converted to bones the hiearchy gets broken. The eye bones are a perfect example, you can't parent these to the head in modeler becuase it wigs out in layout. This is the main reason I added the scene file to the rig download.

Oh, the solution is to re-parent the bones in Layout with Parent in Place on.

Maybe Lightwave (8) will have real bones in Modeler.

Old 06-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #39
Lasercade
Frequenter

Okay, I'm a bit stumped.
I'm having a problem where when I characterize my model, the model does not follow the motion capture very well, particularly in the arms... arms will tend to be bent crazily or swing way too high. I've reparented things to the way they are in the .lws provided but still no go.

As a test, I tried out the ghost combo that policarpo uploaded, which i guess is based on the same skeleton.
This characterizes and follows the motion capture files perfectly, so I know that it works!!!

I went and used the skeleton from the zombie character and fitted them to my model, and I got the same results - arms swinging strangely... It seems like a parenting problem, but I just can't figure it out as I seem to have everything exactly the same as policarpo has in his scene.
Is there another step in Layout that I'm missing? do i have to record rests or pivots or any of that stuff? What am I missing?

thanks for your help,

mm

Old 06-13-2003, 03:59 PM   #40
3DDave
Lord of the posts

David Spamer
Pixel Dimensions
Granite Bay, USA

Is your character in Lightwave facing the negative Z direction before exporting to MB?

MB will reverse the character direction when you open the FBX file and the character will face positive Z. This appears to be a Lightwave only issue.

Recording Pivot Rotations is not required, unless you need to drive expressions it works easier if you do this because your local rotations will be zero in MB. Do NOT zero out the rotations of the Hips bone.

Old 06-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #41
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Italy

I characterized my character, finally, but not automatically.
maybe i did smth wrong with the skeleton rig, because when i noticed that MB didn't automatically rig it. i renamed it specularly.
still didn't worked. so i have some question for my next test.

1) is the Reference null or object required for auto characterizing?
2) in modeler, my char faces the-Z axis,so that he looks toward us in the back view and i noticed the skeleton too. so i only have to fit the bones to the body, right?or do i have to turn smth of 180°? noticed that in this case Mblet me view the scene wrongly, like in modeler.
3)in the layout scene, before exporting, i made Reference Null the main parent the body its child and the bones child of body.
do this can cause probs?
4)noticed also that after renaming, hips were no more parnt of Left and RightLegUp maybe some Skel Editor error occurred in that case, so in your skel are hips the parent of these bones?

next time i'll NEVER rename the skel!!!

Old 06-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #42
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Italy

I characterized my character, finally, but not automatically.
maybe i did smth wrong with the skeleton rig, because when i noticed that MB didn't automatically rig it. i renamed it specularly.
still didn't worked. so i have some question for my next test.

1) is the Reference null or object required for auto characterizing?
2) in modeler, my char faces the-Z axis,so that he looks toward us in the back view and i noticed the skeleton too. so i only have to fit the bones to the body, right?or do i have to turn smth of 180°? noticed that in this case Mblet me view the scene wrongly, like in modeler.
3)in the layout scene, before exporting, i made Reference Null the main parent the body its child and the bones child of body.
do this can cause probs?
4)noticed also that after renaming, hips were no more parnt of Left and RightLegUp maybe some Skel Editor error occurred in that case, so in your skel are hips the parent of these bones?

next time i'll NEVER rename the skel!!!

Old 06-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #43
Nemoid
This IS a cow

Nemoid
Italy

DONE!!

found some errors in my renamed skel, and in layout
reparented left and right leg links to hips they belong to
then exported in MB ...and Bang!
the characterization went smooth!!!!!

thanx to u all.

now i pass to the next step!!!

Old 06-24-2003, 12:04 AM   #44
dzogchen
Lord of the posts
Jared Lim
Singapore

Quote:
Originally posted by Sil3
I got it working

Made some modifications to the model pose, joined the character´s legs more, adjusted the skelegons and bingo, it works perfectly

Thanks

May I know what modifications you did to the model pose?
I have the same problem of knees bending the wrong way after characterize.

Btw thanks for the skeletons it save me a lot of time

Old 06-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #45
Cman
part-timer
Carl Merritt
Columbia, US

LOL! Great bunny-guy!

reply share thread