Lightwave Skeleton File for Motion Builder Users

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2003
Lightwave Skeleton File for Motion Builder Users

Lightwave, Motion Builder Users!

Here is a Lightwave Skeleton (Skelegons) object and a Lightwave scene file for use in creating a Motion Builder compatible biped rig. All of the bones have the correct naming for use in characterization.

Have fun!

5/30/03, There was an error on the left thumb bone numerical naming. It should be LeftThumb1, LeftThumb2, LeftThumb3.

6/5/03, TyVole found an error with the thumb setup. Thanks!
Rev C adds a third thumb bone by splitting the Thumb Parent Bone. This error had no effect on characterization, but is more accurate to the MB Skeleton.

6/6/03, Thanks to Ub52 one more bug was solved with this rig. This problem has to do with Recording Pivot Rotations in Lightwave before you export the rig to an FBX file. i.e. Doing this will not bring in the translation data for the hips bone. This is the root bone that holds all of the motion in the XYZ direction for the rig.

6/7/03

Just a little more refinement in the Skelegon object. Symmety should work now and I update the hierachy in the scene file that works good with Motion Builders Characterization (Kurt30's idea). Also every bone in the skeleton can have it's rotation zeroed EXCEPT THE HIPS BONE.

Thanks for all of the collaberation on improving this rig. I think we have a winner now.

Version 2.3

Policarpo
TyVole
Ub52
Kurt30
TripleG
Attached Files
File Type: zip 3D_Dave_Skeleton_2.3.zip (253.0 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by 3DDave : 06 June 2010 at 07:43 PM.

05 May 2003
Thanks Dave

05 May 2003
yep, thx saw it at 3dbuzz.

05 May 2003
Thanks 3DDave.

05 May 2003
Thanks

Sil3

05 May 2003
Your welcome, glad to see people making use of it.

Don't forget you can add other bones to it and to motion builder as long as you don't break the hiearchy that MB uses for characterization. Also you can add bones to secondary objects on another layer as well. Works great!!

05 May 2003
WOO HOO!

extra bones grounded to T & R roots work great!

I'll post a walking HELLBOY soon!!!!!!

05 May 2003
Thumbs down

Quote: Originally posted by policarpo
WOO HOO!

extra bones grounded to T & R roots work great!

I'll post a walking HELLBOY soon!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to it.

05 May 2003
Re: Lightwave Skeleton File for Motion Builder Users

Quote: Originally posted by 3DDave
Lightwave, Motion Builder Users!

5/30/03, There was an error on the left thumb bone numerical naming. It should be LeftThumb1, LeftThumb2, LeftThumb3.

This B rev has that correction.

Yap i noticed that one but easily fixed even in MB Still i´m having troubles, i adjusted the skeleton.lwo in Modeler to conform an old UT player Character (that i plan to export to UT2003), as soon as i hit Characterize i get an error message that the model needs to be facing the - Z, ok no problemo, switch over to Modeler, rotate the model with the skelegon, go to Layout export a new scene, go to MB hit Characterize again and the knees get bended backwards

Dont know what is wrong, tryed it several times, i even exported to MB only the LWS file included in the zip and it works fine, dont know why "MY" scene get the knees backwards

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sil3

05 May 2003
Ignore that message, it's just a warrning and does not indicate that your model is facing the wrong direction.

With the current version of the Lightwave FBX plugin, model and rig in the NEGATIVE Z direction. When you import into Motion Builder your model and rig will face the POSITIVE Z direction.

Strange, but true.

06 June 2003
I got it working

Made some modifications to the model pose, joined the character´s legs more, adjusted the skelegons and bingo, it works perfectly

Thanks

06 June 2003
motionbuilder sounds like a great program for character animation. can i ask 2 questions?

1. how does mb compare to messiah.

2. can you make a character pick up an object and later drop it (dynamic parenting)

06 June 2003
yeah but the process is a bit different.

heres a llink that explains it. its pretty quick.

http://www.kaydara.com/products/pop...amov=constraint

06 June 2003
Quote: Originally posted by thiaml
motionbuilder sounds like a great program for character animation. can i ask 2 questions?

1. how does mb compare to messiah.

2. can you make a character pick up an object and later drop it (dynamic parenting)

1. There are many Messiah vs Motion Builder posts, just do a search.

2. YES

reply share thread