New Version?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2007
New Version?

Any news of a new version of Motion Builder (version 8?) around the corner?
It seems like it's been a while since 7.5 came out and was just trying to figure out when to pull the trigger on a new license purchase.

Thanks in advance.
  08 August 2007
I wonder if it is still being developed at all. Are there any other similar software?
  08 August 2007
Originally Posted by Deniss: I wonder if it is still being developed at all. Are there any other similar software?

There's noise about extension 2 but there isn't that much info about it.

It does look like the Development of Motionbuilder has seem to have slowed since Autodesk took control, as Motionbuilder 7 came out in 2005. Maybe Motionbuilder isn't part of Autodesk's future plans?
  08 August 2007
There is an update, 7.5 Extension 2.

Autodesk MotionBuilder 7.5 Extension 2
Autodesk MotionBuilder 7.5 Extension 2 software, available exclusively to Autodesk MotionBuilder Platinum Membership members, builds on the momentum of MotionBuilder 7.5 with significant performance enhancements—particularly in the areas of loading and plotting data, support for 64-bit Windows® operating platform and 32-bit Intel®-based Macintosh® systems, and new animation tools. The latter includes the addition of a new 3ds Max Biped Template that enables Autodesk® 3ds Max® software users to quickly rig their Biped characters in MotionBuilder. There is also a new finger solver in Actor that allows animators to apply optical marker data to a character’s fingers in real time. Finally, enhancements have been made to the Reach settings, Custom Cameras, and the Story Window.

With its unique real time architecture, non-destructive animation layering, and mixed media, nonlinear editing timeline that simplifies working with motion capture and other dense datasets, MotionBuilder 7.5 Extension 2 enables you to tackle the most demanding, animation-intensive projects."

Copied and pasted from
  08 August 2007
I really hope they wont cancel motionbuilder, really love that app now, been learning it at work so. Its a great unknown tool that more people should look into. It works for mocap as well as regular keyframing ,and god bless layers, plotting and the snap constraints.

08 August 2007
Blog my reply

Hey guys,

I replied to your questions about the this release of MotionBuilder on my blog, as I was going to make an announcement on the release and thought it was an ideal way to merge the two.

Curtis Garton
Curtis Garton
Product Manager
Autodesk Media & Entertainment
  08 August 2007
Hi Curtis,

Now that Motionbuilder is a Universal Binary on the Mac, I'm just about ready to upgrade my license of Motionbuilder 7 Standard. How about a new upgrade offer to migrate across?
It just didn't make sense before to invest a lot of money in a version I couldn't run natively.

08 August 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread