CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Hash Animation:Master
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Bugle
Know-it-All

Well, that's gonna make me a forums orphan, since I don't plan on opting in to the way things are done in the official forums.

This forum is what motivated me to upgrade from 8 to 10, without the feedback from folks who are able to give straight answers regarding the app's current performance, I don't think I'll be upgrading again.

Maybe I should start my own AM forum.

Naah, to much of a headache

Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
Fuchur
Veteran

portfolio
Gerald Zum Gahr
Diploma Media Engineer (Dipl-Ing)
3We GmbH
Karlsruhe, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Fuchur
Damn... that is depressing... it was so nice to have this section and it was a great way to make A:M more known... dont know why Hash doesnt like that...

*Fuchur*

Visit my hp at www.patchwork3d.de

Old 09-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #18
86point5
Frequenter

portfolio
Vin Lisciandro
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegg
CGTalk will obviously still be here but the Hash Animation:Master section will be closing its doors.

What exactly will happen when the "doors close"? Obviously there will be no new posting, but will the existing posts be removed, or will they still be browseable/searchable? There's some good info here, it'd be a shame to lose it entirely.

--

I've often thought about buying the version upgrade for my copy. (I apparently bought at the wrong time for stability ... AM2002) Without access to unfiltered reports (unlike the official forum's cheerleading) I doubt I will.

Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #19
Rodger Reynolds

Wegg said,
"Trying to promote CGTalk amongst the Animation Master community has proven to be rather futile without the support of Hash Inc...."
Leigh said,
"...that IS the sole reason why this forum is closing..."

I'm curious as to what sort of "support" is expected; web space, advertising? Whatever it is, why is it essential?

Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #20
SevenString
RJ-D0, heavy metal droid

Leslie Spring
CEO
Cognitive Code
Los Angeles, USA

Send a message via AIM to SevenString
Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but my impression is that the problem isn't so much "lack of support", but more of a problem of active opposition to this forum by the Hash powers that be.

Despite the fact that I had severe problems using A:M, and have long since "moved on", it IS sad to see an alternative resource such as this one getting the indirect effect of "official" short-sighted insular thinking.

For those who still use and love A:M, I feel for ya'.

Wegg and David, rock on...

Old 09-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #21
3DArtZ
Lord of the posts

Computer Graphics

Keep us open....

This is very weak.

I think we should hear what sort of support has not been given?
Why does hash have to be involved here?

What support are the other software companies giving? Advertising?

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

Old 09-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #22
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenString
Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am), but my impression is that the problem isn't so much "lack of support", but more of a problem of active opposition to this forum by the Hash powers that be.

Yes, exactly.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #23
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DArtZ
This is very weak.

I think we should hear what sort of support has not been given?
Why does hash have to be involved here?

What support are the other software companies giving? Advertising?

No, this has nothing to do with advertising. It has to do with the fact that Wegg has received repeated hostility from Martin Hash regarding this forum. In light of this, we feel that closing this forum is the best course of action, so that Wegg can concentrate his efforts on a forum where those efforts are actually appreciated.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #24
3DArtZ
Lord of the posts

Computer Graphics

We need CGsociety support. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh
No, this has nothing to do with advertising. It has to do with the fact that Wegg has received repeated hostility from Martin Hash regarding this forum. In light of this, we feel that closing this forum is the best course of action, so that Wegg can concentrate his efforts on a forum where those efforts are actually appreciated.

Becuase Billy and Martin don't see eye to eye is no reason to punish the rest of us.
If this is not a money issue, keep the forum open.
Pass the moderator resp. to me. I seem to be the only person who can get my hash models to play nice with my polygon apps.

This all looks very much and eye for an eye decision to me.

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

Old 09-22-2005, 05:43 PM   #25
SouthernLaw
A.K.A. Middlekidd

J Griffin
Freelancer
USA

Send a message via AIM to SouthernLaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DArtZ
Becuase Billy and Martin don't see eye to eye is no reason to punish the rest of us.

Ditto. The creation of this forum might have been an act of rebellion a couple of years ago, but it's turned into a great resource for lots of us. Not to mention the amount of public exposure that A:M could never achieve on the official Hash forums.

Besides, the A:M forum is practically the only reason I visit CG Society these days.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #26
zandoria
A:M zealot...

portfolio
William Sutton
Zandoria Studios
Ooltewah, USA

So the A:M expatriots will have to find somewhere else to whine about Hash inc.? Gee, that's too bad

Old 09-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #27
Wegg
Messiah dude.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
William Eggington
3D Animator
Eggington Productions
Orem,

Send a message via ICQ to Wegg Send a message via MSN to Wegg Send a message via Yahoo to Wegg
Do a search on the Hash forums for "CGTalk". I believe the only references you will find are quites from Martin himself. It makes for interesting reading. And that doesn't even begin to touch on the e-mails I have received from Martin himself discussing litigation and rather in-depth descriptions of what the people who frequent CGTalk are like and what their motivations are. It would probably be safe to say he lumps CGTalk into the "Professionals" category. Do a search for that as well.

THEN. Compare that to the support I receive from the software makers of the other forum I am involved in. . .

Quote:
I have witnessed your involvement in the [snip] community since you came on board, and I know you to be a great guy that only wants things to progress *positively*. I certainly appreciate your involvement in the [snip] community. I only wish that I could clone myself a few times so that I can do all the things that I would like in order to make your (and all users) experiences with [snip] even more enjoyable.

and. . . considering I am the only person selling an instructional video describing how to allow A:M to work with Lightwave. . . I'm beginning to think your kind of. . . full of stinky brown stuff.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #28
Wegg
Messiah dude.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
William Eggington
3D Animator
Eggington Productions
Orem,

Send a message via ICQ to Wegg Send a message via MSN to Wegg Send a message via Yahoo to Wegg
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandoria
So the A:M expatriots will have to find somewhere else to whine about Hash inc.? Gee, that's too bad

Thank you Will for most clearly demonstrating the attitude I have found most common among the "A:M elite" regarding the worth of CGTalk.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #29
zandoria
A:M zealot...

portfolio
William Sutton
Zandoria Studios
Ooltewah, USA

Well I can't argue that...I told you what I thought about CGTalk week before last on Mirc.

Old 09-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #30
3DArtZ
Lord of the posts

Computer Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegg

and. . . considering I am the only person selling an instructional video describing how to allow A:M to work with Lightwave. . . I'm beginning to think your kind of. . . full of stinky brown stuff.

Wegg, who are you talking to here? Me or just everyone in general?
I've never met you, but I always felt that you were very level headed and fair.
Shutting down the hash section just because you feel betrayed by hash is not fair to us.

Your intentions, obviously have just drifted apart from that of hash... the only thing I see that needs to be done is just pass the moderator duties to some one else..... and I'm not talking about the stinky brown stuff when I say duty

Also, how is your studio doing? I always felt like that was source of aggrevation on the hash front....

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

Thread Closed share thread