Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Robert Magee
Houdini Artist

Robert Magee
Product Marketing Manager
Side Effects Software Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Learning Houdini

Side Effects Software's Houdini software utilizes a node-based procedural approach which provides digital artists with an unprecedented level of power, flexibility and control. Houdini’s feature set includes modeling, rigging, animation, particle effects, dynamics, compositing, integrated rendering, although it is best known for its VFX tools. Houdini is available for the Mac OS X, Linux and Windows operating systems.

Listed below are some resources you can use to learn Houdini:

Free Learning Software: For CG artists who are working on shots to spruce up their demo reel, developing new skills, or working on personal projects, Side Effects has created the Houdini Apprentice program. Houdini Apprentice contains virtually all of Houdini Master’s features with only a few limitations. It uses a special non-commercial file format (.hipnc) and you can share files between all of these versions. Visit http://www.sidefx.com/apprentice to access this learning software.

Tutorials: You can access tutorials by Side Effects Software here. To get started you should take a look at the user guides and these excellent videos created by Peter Quint on Vimeo. You can also find lots of third party materials on this page. The 3D Buzz and Digital Tutors lessons are also great for getting started with Houdini

Customer Stories: To learn how Houdini is used to create movies, commercials and video games, check out the customer story and the Houdini in the News sections at sidefx.com

Houdini Jobs: Demand for Houdini talent is very high in the market right now. You can visit the jobs page at sidefx.com for a list of studios looking for artists or join the following linkedin group for more specific job postings.

Last edited by bendry : 03-30-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
vigneshwarv
Veteran
portfolio
vigneshwar Viswanathan
Salem, IN

awesome

Old 03-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Kashir
portfolio
Miguel Angel Alvarez
Córdoba, España

What a good new! A new Houdini forum in CGtalk, and the best, in the birthday anniversary of Harry Houdini :P (Have you seen today's doodle?)

Last edited by Kashir : 06-12-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Hun
Veteran

It's great to have a Houdini forum back.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
maik-anton
Frequenter
portfolio
maik
Switzerland

many thanks!

Last edited by maik-anton : 03-30-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
VM
Character Animator

portfolio
Virgil Mihailescu
Character Animator
Antarctica

Woohooo, Houdini forum surfacing from the depths of cgtalk! Amaaazing

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
khermah
portfolio
Khermah
Kenya

A pile of tuts from voronoi fracture to Vops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Khermah

Khermah

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
gyepes

portfolio
Gregory Yepes
Los Angeles, USA

I'm definitely going to check out your tutorials Khermah, thanks for sharing!

Another great resource are Peter Quint's Houdini tutorials on Vimeo, they are superb in coverage and depth:

http://vimeo.com/channels/54102

cheers!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
obiwandk
Frequenter
portfolio
leif larsen
non
farsø, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to obiwandk
joining the ranks of houdini learners

Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
shiming735
portfolio
yoyoyoxixixi shi
yili
Shenzhen, China

Cool thanks a looooooooooot!

thanks a looooooooooot!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
neonbulbs
Veteran

portfolio
Donny Yuniarto%2BMurdiono
Generalist and Lighting TD
Omens Studios
Tokyo, Japan

Send a message via MSN to neonbulbs Send a message via Yahoo to neonbulbs
This is really great!! Finally thanks again for making the forum to live again.

Cheers..

Old 08-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
LOR
Crusader for
Better VFX Training
Canada

More Houdini Tutorials

You can also check out www.cg-masters.com for Houdini tutorials by Houdini gurus such as Peter Bowmar and Sean Lewkiw.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Intars5d
Frequenter

portfolio
Intars Kocesevs
CG artist
Riga, Latvia

I am max user for 5 years, working in CG for a year now in local studio doing archviz and animated adverts. What's interesting that I got into Houdini thanks to my teammate at work - Maya user. He pushed me saying, hey check this app instead, its crazy.

Been trying to learn Maya twice with no result and passion whatsoever. Just didn't like it

Houdini attracted me from the very beginning.
I started with 3DBuzz Houdini Fundamentals (FastTrack) and found it to be very usefull. It really helps to grasp Houdini in a controled and explained fashion.

But seems that Houdini user base is waaay smaller than others. And lack of tutorials in certain fields such as Character FX - cloth,muscle,fur.
Would be cool to hear from experienced users how Houdini is "talking" with other apps. Is it possible to get predictable results if doing character modeling, animation in max and getting all of that inside Houdini and doing fancy character fx magic there? is a transfer, point cache transfer painfull and workable in reality?

I started to learn Houdini two weeks ago as a means to explore new ways of doing things and broaden my horizon.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
Toms993
Veteran

portfolio
Toms Seglins
Riga, Latvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intars5d
I am max user for 5 years, working in CG for a year now in local studio doing archviz and animated adverts. What's interesting that I got into Houdini thanks to my teammate at work - Maya user. He pushed me saying, hey check this app instead, its crazy.

Been trying to learn Maya twice with no result and passion whatsoever. Just didn't like it

Houdini attracted me from the very beginning.
I started with 3DBuzz Houdini Fundamentals (FastTrack) and found it to be very usefull. It really helps to grasp Houdini in a controled and explained fashion.

But seems that Houdini user base is waaay smaller than others. And lack of tutorials in certain fields such as Character FX - cloth,muscle,fur.
Would be cool to hear from experienced users how Houdini is "talking" with other apps. Is it possible to get predictable results if doing character modeling, animation in max and getting all of that inside Houdini and doing fancy character fx magic there? is a transfer, point cache transfer painfull and workable in reality?

I started to learn Houdini two weeks ago as a means to explore new ways of doing things and broaden my horizon.

Same here, started learning Houdini about 2 weeks ago I didnt say there is lack of tutorials, for me they're enough, Peter Quint/Sidefx tutorials have very much information, those are only free tuts. CMI_VFX have some greats tuts.

About transfering animation, havent done that (only static mesh), but I have heard that Alembic format does that job very good, only problem is that, 3ds max doesnt have Alembic support, but Houdini have.

Ha, nepamanīju, ka tu no Latvijas , tagad laikam Latvijā ir jau divi Houdini lietotāji

Last edited by Toms993 : 09-24-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Intars5d
Frequenter

portfolio
Intars Kocesevs
CG artist
Riga, Latvia

Than there is rising hype around upcoming Houdini 12
With recent events around SideEffects, deals with Dreamworks and new version, Houdini without doubt will get a boost in popularity, I guess.

Hopā, āreče, ļautiņi no lv
Man pilnigi nav info, kas ar Houdini lietotājiem mūsmājās
Ir kāda local userbāze, moš kādi veterāni? Diez vai, bet kas zin

reply share thread