Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Fess
tapping his potential

portfolio
Jason Mohan
Animation/VFX/Lighting
Digital Domain

Question Traveling Blooms (Car surface)

played with a way to do this with a animated texture in maya>use as a matte in AfterEffects & bloom it, but was wondering if anyone had a nicer technique:

I want this hot bloom to follow the contour of the car as it travels with the camera and then passes it (see attachemnt)

any input is appreciated,
Best,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6SunReflection3.JPG (39.6 KB, 16 views)

Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
catche
Expert
portfolio
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway

I'm not an expert, but these are my thoughts: since it looks like it's more than a glow effect you're after I'd suggest using either the standard motion tracker or mocha that also comes with newer versions of AE to 2d track the position of the highlight. Might not track very well if the highlight is stretched out a lot, but you can go in and animate the tracker in problem areas yourself after you have something you can work with.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Fess
tapping his potential

portfolio
Jason Mohan
Animation/VFX/Lighting
Digital Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by catche
I'm not an expert, but these are my thoughts: since it looks like it's more than a glow effect you're after I'd suggest using either the standard motion tracker or mocha that also comes with newer versions of AE to 2d track the position of the highlight. Might not track very well if the highlight is stretched out a lot, but you can go in and animate the tracker in problem areas yourself after you have something you can work with.

Hope that helps.

catche, thnks for the input

That is just a photo of some randomAzzz car to illustrate my idea. I want to actually have the hightlight travel along a contour on the car in Maya, render out a matte and blast it with OpticalFlares in AE.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Midgardsormr
Frequenter
portfolio
Bryan Ray
VFX Generalist
Los Angeles, USA

If you're looking for an optical effect, then do it as an optical effect. Set up a bright light, make it visible in reflections, and render a reflection pass. You should see the light in the reflection, and you can apply the bloom in comp.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
catche
Expert
portfolio
Jan Petter Grashei
Sandnes, Norway

Lens flares are a bit more tricky than blooms. With blooms you can basically just blur out the specular and screen/add it on top, but with flares you have to have 1 point that the flare follows so it looks like a.. "glint" like a star/streaks. But then again not sure exactly what you want.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
PelDaddy
Know-it-All
Joe Laffey
The Stable VFX
St. Louis, USA

This is a CG car you want to animate a blooming highlight sun hit on?

Set up a special reflective or specular surface that is black, but with highlights, add a special light to produce a bright, hard highlight where you want it (animating either the car or the light). Then render it out as a pass. Bring this into Fusion or AE and blur it to create your highlight. If you want rays coming out of it Fusion has hilite tool that will do this. You could use any of various flare or boom plugins to create the bloom hit, tracking the highlight from the 3d software if needed.

Manually, a bloomed hit could be made from a rough star shape you draw in photoshop that you then distort with a noise displacement or similar, and rotate around slightly. You could use multiple layers rotating in different directions, and at different thicknesses, scales, etc.

What are you having difficulty with? Getting the highlight to move in the right place, the look of the highlight, or what?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
PelDaddy
Know-it-All
Joe Laffey
The Stable VFX
St. Louis, USA

Note also that the Glare settings in VRay Lens Effects might help. Use a bitmap of a star shape and go from there. Try the camera settings there too.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread