11 soldiers into 50?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
11 soldiers into 50?

Hi
I am going to attempt to turn 11 soldiers into 50 for a small independent film. The shot is a night time one and the setting is a column of walking (not marching) 1st WW soldiers on the way to a battle. There are 11 actors and the column has to be at least 50 side by side. The shot will last between 3 to 5 seconds and pan a bit ideally.

Here is a pic of the location:

Here is a layout of the proposed action:

Here is a rough perspective:

The road has to be replaced by a dirt version and there is some stuff in the background that needs to go. I have found some examples of this on the web but as yet no real tutorials. I am guessing the actors have to be green screened and I have AE cs4 with Mocha. I have been messing with it a bit and it seems to do a fairly good job. The vids I saw using actors placed in a perspective situation was done with Boujou though.

All and any advice on finding info regarding this kind of thing (including tips) gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

09 September 2013
if its possible i would shoot without the camera pan
then shoot the soldiers in different locations/depth from the camera walking there way up to the camera

then you should mask out the soldiers quiet roughly, because the enviroment is the same you can cheat quiet a lot.

if you shooting with the pan everything get really complex

09 September 2013
Unless you find a way to shoot for a good key(green, blue, luma) you'll have to roto.

Like pingking said, a pan will complicate things big time. If you plan to use a camera pan you'll have to make sure that the actions of the soldiers don't overlap ie shoot with a lot of space in between or shoot each soldier solo, no idea how you can get a exact same, steady pan 11 times though.
Don't pan.

09 September 2013
pingking
scrimski
Thanks guys. I saw a breakdown of the kind of thing I thought I wanted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYVT-G6qbOc

Looking back I see how it works. Software wont be able to change the perspective of the soldiers to fit the plate like in the example above, plus the ones at front will be very big and detailed in the plate. I think I am confusing green screen with 3d actors :(.

Thanks for the advice!

09 September 2013
Didn't watch the whole breakdown, just the start. The perspective and the pan(rather a dolly) is different, the characters are much smaller so it works in that case.
Closeup flat characters will pop out in a pan as what they are - flat. no change in perspective.
I'd try though if I were you, the human eye can be tricked sometimes in ways you didn't think about.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: I have AE cs4 with Mocha.

At least i hope you have camera tracker.Good luck.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by kyrgr:
At least i hope you have camera tracker.Good luck.

I just spat tea all over my monitor! I enjoyed this one.

scrimski yeah this is worst case scenario. There will be a lot of detail so I spoke with the team and we are going to do a still shot repeated 5 times so I can spend my time making articulated masks.

Thanks for the help everyone. Very much appreciated.
Cheerio

09 September 2013
Your sense of humor is appreciated.
I did not really understand how you
will pull this off with parallax and
movement and getting help from an
amateur is usually worthless but still
i'm willing to help for free with the
compositing part if needed.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread