Render layers: when effects go beyond alpha

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
After Effects: Black Halo After Precomping Render Elements

Hi! So I have a bunch of vray render elements rendered out of 3ds max on a black background in 32bit *.exr format. When I stack them with "add" blending mode on top of my background picture everything looks fine, until I precomp them. Then that black outline appears around the precomp. How to get rid of it?

I interpreted render elements as premultiplied with black. Tried "remove color matting effect" on precomp - doesn't work. Ofcourse I can set precomp's track matte to alpha layer, but I want to add effects such as glows and blurs which go beyond alpha to certain render layers. So how do you assemble passes properly in Ae?

Last edited by X-RUST : 08 August 2013 at 02:22 PM.

08 August 2013
And here's another strange thing. If you make a comp and set it's background to white and put all your render layers there, a black outline will appear too.

But if you put a white solid underneath all of the layers, that halo disappears!

I'm totally confused

Last edited by X-RUST : 08 August 2013 at 04:18 PM.

08 August 2013
I'd have to do some experimenting to answer your first question, but I believe I know the answer to the second.

Even though your viewport background is white, the actual background of your image is still (0,0,0). When you put the white solid in, After Effects (I assume you're using AE from your terminology) multiplies the alpha by the white and gives you correct edges.

09 September 2013
Quote: When you put the white solid in, After Effects (I assume you're using AE from
your terminology) multiplies the alpha by the white and gives you correct
edges.

Actually, I should have mentioned that whatever I put underneath as a background (either solids of various colors or picture) I have a clean edge. Anyway, is it possible in Ae to precomp render passes without losing that nice antialiasing?

Last edited by X-RUST : 09 September 2013 at 09:13 AM.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread