Is it possible to teach yourself compositing from books and the web?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Is it possible to teach yourself compositing from books and the web?

... or do you have to take a course? Since there are degree level courses in this, I'd assume that they offer something you can't get anywhere else, I'd like to know - what is that exactly?

Thanks, guys

08 August 2013
Yes, you can learn from books and web only, but it only will get you so far.
What you really need is experience. Get a basic knowledge, get an internship or a junior position and learn.

Quote: Since there are degree level courses in this, I'd assume that they offer something you can't get anywhere else, I'd like to know - what is that exactly?
How to waste money.

08 August 2013
The advantage I got from enrolling in a school was the discipline and time to do the learning. If I had tried to learn entirely self-directed, I wouldn't have done it. I also got a lot of benefit from the foundational courses that I probably would not have studied as much on my own: graphic design principles, typography, web design, etc.

But in terms of actual knowledge gained, I didn't learn much of anything that I could not have gotten on my own from other sources. The knowledge is out there, and people are generally pretty happy to share it.

Was it worth the price? No, not really, even considering I entered the program with transfer credit for all of my general education courses. If I had it to do over again, I'd have found a state university with a graphics program instead of attending one of the private art schools. It's worth considering, though, that if I'd gone that route, I'd probably be working in research now rather than post production.

This is just my experience; yours will necessarily be different.

08 August 2013
Between articles, tutorials, forum archives, access to pros through communities like this one and placing yourself in a position to NEED to know (taking on or committing to projects) I *feel* like there's nothing in the field that's out of reach.

On the other hand there are days where I'd love to be in an academic environment where guidance via face to face conversation was just a moment away and the care of an expert has gone in to designing a course that's accessible and builds upon concepts in a sensible and measured way.

Another advantage of taking a course is developing your network of peers and contacts. Naturally YMMV.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread