Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Nick269
portfolio
Nikolay
Saint Petersburg, Russia

Another question about Compositing Career

Hi everyone,

I'd like to add a question to previous discussions on this topic...

I want to be a compositor and I will start my studies soon, but I have some conserns, and specifically I've never thought of myself as artistic, I can't take a pencil and draw a beautiful picture, so my question is: can I learn or develop all the necessary stuff (like artistic vision) that is required in order to become a good compositor? Should I even try if I don't have artistic talent?

All responses are appreciated,
Nick

Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Rickmeister
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rick vd S
Compositor
Method Studios
Australia

Strange that nobody replied to this yet. If you measure your artistic skills with your ability to draw then I can tell you have nothing to worry about. I can't draw either and I am doing just fine. And so are half of my friends. But if you really know that you are not creative in any way than that might be a problem.

Being a compositor, or in the VFX field in general, is asking a lot of both your technical knowledge and your creative side. I know a few guys that are compositors, and not very creative, and it is a problem for them. They are only good for certain tasks that need to be done over and over again, and they will never or hardly ever grow into a higher position. Some people are fine with this. But for most this will get frustrating at some point.

A good artist needs to be technically strong and smart, creatively free and diverse and above all a good communicator.

Some things can be taught, but not everything. It is hard though to say what one can learn, and what not.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread