tracking in nuke using maya informations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
tracking in nuke using maya informations

hello there !

Ok, here is my problem ! I'm currently working on a short film, in CG, and for some shots, i need to track some objects. I can use the nuke tracker, of course, but it looks quite old school and not really efficient to me, for some specifical situations.
So i'm wondering if there is a way to get back some exact informations from my 3d soft (maya, in my situation). I'm really unfamiliar with all vfx stuff (including tracking^^), but i guess that if i get my world position's mesh and my camera from maya in a text file, i should be able to use it in nuke, right ?
So does anyone could help me with that, please ? Do you have an idea on how to do my tracking easier than with nuke tracker ?
(i assume that scripting in maya is required, of course, but that's not a problem^^ i can't expect doing what i want to do without python =)

Old 05 May 2013   #2
you have a CG scene and want some parts of it to be tracked in nuke?

you can use the reconcile3d node in nuke to get the 2d position of a 3d locator (old but good tutorial: http://franzbrandstaetter.com/?p=35)

you can even create (volume)masks from the world position pass (or p pass):
http://lesterbanks.com/2012/04/usin...gizmo-for-nuke/ (there are many gizmos for that out there)

and something for relighting:
https://vimeo.com/53495953

Old 05 May 2013   #3
hey, thank you pingking !
Your first solution was the closest from what i'm looking for ! It's a bit tricky to import objects from maya to nuke (by tricky, i mean that i don't really understand what works and what doesn't but even if i don't understand exactly, i just know now that the maya2nuke script works), but yet, it works ! So thank you for your answer !

Old 05 May 2013   #4
you could export you scene as FBX and import that back into nuke

Old 05 May 2013   #5
yep, but when i do that, for some reasons, i can't get back my animation... Of course, my animation is baked in the fbx (i've checked by re-opening my fbx in maya, anyway), but i don't know why, there is no more animation in nuke after importing... I use the "read from file" option. For example, i create a camera in nuke, i check the "read from file" checkbox, link my fbx file, but nothing appends with animation, no key or anything in my transform knob.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
I had same problem, when you export from maya, change fbx version to some 2009-2010 version. I realy dont remember wich year was working, but experiment with it.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
ah thank you for the trick, i'll try that soon !
Interesting detail, anyway... my entire scene crashed, with the reconcile, and i lost everything, without error (so without possibility to clean my file through a text editor). I don't know if it's due to the use of reconcile or not (i think maybe it can crash and corrupt the scene, like a relight node could do), so i'll try again the reconcile and i'll see if this come from that useful node !

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread