CGTalk > Techniques > Compositing and Editing
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
rmartori
portfolio
USA

Augmented reality mockup conundrum

I wasnt really sure where to put this but two of the options might involve compositing so i figure here and if not I'd be pointed to the right forum. Sorry this is kind of long.

I am working on a mock up to show how augmented reality and 3d printing could be used in museums to display artifacts that aren't normally displayed. But I am running into a bit of a mental block in the how best to display the mock up.
The original plan was I took the laser scanned 3d model of an artifact, changed it's texture to looks like it was printed in a 3d plastic printer then made a model hand holding a model phone and had them move over the model to "scan" it, playing a movie of the camera lining up and starting the AR sequence as a texture on the face of the phone. It's....okay, though I haven't gotten to the interaction portion of this yet and having the 3d laser scanned model being "manipulated" on the screen I have hit a mental block as to if this is the best way, my 3d modeled hands are mediocre(not bad but not great) and I am not sure if i can do lifelike enough animations yet(I was trained more in making logos sadly, self taught all else).
So I am trying to come up with other ideas as to how and was wondering if anyone had any ideas

basically I am trying to show something similar to aurasma scan with a smartphone the plastic model it brings up a fairly photorealisitc 3d scanned model that you can rotate zoom etc and on top of that using after effects I added three buttons one to bring in a lightsource(an omni light) that you can move around the model to show more detail, a map button showing where it was found, and an information button bringing up information about the artifact.

So I am looking for advice should i stick with this current plan of doing all of this inside 3dsmax and after effects. or should I try and bring a live action element into this and try and use composting or some other trick to show an actual phone displaying this? I honestly haven't done composting before but I would be more then capable of learning. The two tricks I thought of are either A) maybe taking some blue tape putting it over my cellphone screen and finding a way to sort of over lay the video on it. Or B) just running it as a video on my phone, the downside with this one is that if i am to show the interaction of the model how can i touch the cellphone without pausing the video hah
Sorry that I don't have any pics, the digital artifact is protected information, I might try and make a mock up of the mock up though since the artifact is basically a cylinder.

Hopefully you can give me some experienced advice on what the best way of demonstrating an augmented reality mock up(yknow without actually programming one) would be. Thank you.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread