looking for some composition feed back

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
looking for some composition feed back

hi everyone, i am quite new to these forums, and i am not sure if this is the right place to post a WIP for feedback, since this is the only VFX part of the forums that i found.

I am a year 1 vfx student, and i wanted to post one of my assignments on the forums for some feedback on my composition skills (mainly my keying skills and on edges of the alpha and matte and any artifacting), its a short clip that was provided (about 2 seconds) for us to work on.

http://vimeo.com/65704345

thank you

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Hi there.

I am by no means an expert at this stuff so don't take my word as gospel. In fact your keying looks to be generally better than my own.

Your keys are looking pretty clean but I can see a few issues. You need a garbage matte around the gentleman as there is a lot of visible artificing to the left of his head, also some noise in the darker parts of his clothing, although with vimeo's compression it's hard to tell if this is from the key or not. If it is use some clean un-keyed footage with a mask to counter this.

The woman in the foreground would benefit from a little more edge blur and a light wrap as the dark edges of her face look a little harsh. The same with the skeletons hand and the left hand side of the gentleman's jacket

Overall the comp would benefit from some spill suppression and colour correction. There is quite a bit of green spill and the back slate looks to have more contrast and saturation than the foreground, it is also much sharper than the keyed footage perhaps adding a tiny bit of blur and noise to the background would help pull the whole thing together.

Pretty good work so far though. I'd appreciate knowing what combination of plugins you used to pull what looks like a pretty clean key of the gents hair as I'm struggling with a similar shot myself (see my thread below yours "The Impossible Key"), like I said I'm no expert.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread